300 Willoughby Avenue
Brooklyn Prospect Charter School is seeking an engaging and collaborative Middle School 12:1:1 Teacher for the 2018-2019 school year as we expand our special education programming to include a part-time self-contained setting option.
As Brooklyn Prospect’s founding Self-contained/ Special Class Teacher, you will work closely with subject area teachers and paraprofessionals to plan and execute dynamic lessons that are individualized to leverage student strengths and address highest priority learning targets.. You will also work closely with Special Education leaders across the organization to identify, develop, and implement best practices for the self-contained special education classroom.
This is an ideal position for someone with a deep commitment to Special Education, strong collaboration skills and a tenacious and innovative spirit.
Brooklyn Prospect Charter School is a K-12 college preparatory community where excellent teachers prepare a diverse student body to have a positive impact on society and a lifelong passion for learning.
Our Core Values are:
- Curiosity: Develop sound judgment and intellect by asking questions confidently and thinking critically
- Respect: Value others by taking a local and global perspective and appreciating differences
- Persistence: Grow and learn by solving problems with determination, creativity and tenacity
- Passion: Succeed by approaching challenges with excitement, enthusiasm and self assurance
As part of the Brooklyn Prospect Team, you will enjoy a full-time position with a competitive salary, full medical, dental, and vision benefits, 401(k) with employer match, and working in a supportive and collaborative environment.
We are a growing organization and opportunities for development and success are readily available.
As part of a growing organization, the Learning Specialist will play a vital role in curriculum development and the overall success of our special needs students.
As a Learning Specialist in a Self-Contained Special Education Classroom, your initiatives include:
- Teach mixed grade self-contained classes in the subjects of Math & ELA
- Work with students in settings other than the self-contained classroom in the capacity of a special educator
- Work closely with our school Principal and Student Support Services Dept. Head
- Collaborate with a paraprofessional to provide direct, targeted instruction in areas of skill deficit including reading, writing and math
- Create strategic plans and interventions to help students achieve individual learning goals
- Collaborate with classroom teachers and parents to provide students with comprehensive and supportive programing
- Collaborate with other members of the Student Support Services department in teaching and learning in order to provide the best possible education to all of our middle school students
- Engage in ongoing learning in order develop your own professional skill set
- Minimum of a Masters degree
- A Valid New York State Teaching Certification in Special Education
- Experience working with diverse populations and special needs populations
- Strong understanding of Special Education laws
- Strong sense of accountability and ownership
- Strong collaborative and communication skills
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Salary is competitive with NYC Department of Education (“DOE”).
- Full time position in a collaborative environment
- Full medical, dental, vision benefits, plus 401(k) with employer match
Interested candidates must include a resume and cover letter, including how you learned about the position, and specify for which position you are applying.
Applications will be reviewed as received. Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, we will only be able to notify those who meet our selection criteria.
Brooklyn Prospect is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds.
Minimum Education Required