Details: Salary range is competitive
Providence House, Inc. is a value driven not-for-profit organization focused on assisting women in building community and transforming their lives. We are committed to promoting wholeness and healing while offering quality evidence based services to women and children who find themselves homeless and/or involved with the criminal justice system. Providence House, as an agency, follows a trauma based practice model. Providence House was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph over thirty years ago and continues to hold the values of non-violence, compassion, hospitality and community at its core. Providence House actively seeks to provide support, training and opportunities that foster growth and wellbeing for its staff as well as the women we serve.
This position provides assistance to the Director of Finance in key finance and accounting functions.
SUPERVISION: Reports to Director of Finance
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Accounts Payable
· Review all requests for payment to ensure integrity, proper authorization and accurate account coding
· Process payments on a timely basis
· Maintain vendor files
· Assist Director of Finance in analyzing costs and identifying opportunities for cost savings
· Interface with vendors regarding billing and payment questions
· Create accurate and timely statements to independent contractors for tax purposes and to verify accuracy.
Grant and Contracts Accounting
· Prepare supporting documentation for grant and contract reimbursement, for Controller’s review and approval.
· Request and perform initial review of information provided by the Property Management Company. Perform further inquiries as deemed necessary.
· Assist in annual budget (including department budget) preparation as needed.
· Interface with department heads to create department budgets as needed
· Prepare reports analyzing historical data to support budget preparation as needed
· Prepare budget work papers and supporting documentation as needed
· Reconcile general ledger accounts as assigned.
· Assist in the periodic external audit through preparation of schedules and supporting documents.
· Coordinate communication with program directors to ensure proper documentation and authorization for general expenses, credit card activity, and petty cash are submitted timely.
· Undertake special projects as requested.
Financial Reporting and Analysis
· Assist in monthly, quarterly and annual financial reviews with an eye toward opportunities for cost reduction and maximizing revenues.
· Work with the Program Directors to find best strategic sources for goods and services.
· Assist in resolving variances.
· Identify potential places for savings
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting preferred
· Greater than 3 years of experience including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and general ledger.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Word and Excel and PowerPoint.
· Proficiency in using Fund EZ would be a plus.
· Regular schedule is business hours Monday – Friday. Evenings and weekends sometimes may be required with advance notice.
· Strong listening skills
· Effective and respectful oral and written communication skills
· Well-developed organizational and administrative skills
· Able to think critically and analytically
· Proven ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and projects
· Demonstrated ability to respond in a supportive manner to unforeseen requests for assistance
· Collaborative work style
· Ability to maintain confidentiality
· The Accounts Payable Accountant position is an hourly position. Hours worked will be weekdays for thirty hours per week, at a mutually agreed-upon schedule. Evening work also may be required. Regular daily (work week) presence is required.
· The central administration office is located in Brooklyn, New York.
Benefits includes 12 paid holidays, 3 week vacation, 3 personal days, 12 sick days, medical, dental, vision, prescription coverage, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability benefits, a 403(B) voluntary tax deferred annuity plan, pension benefits, commuter benefits and Employment Assistance Program.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send PDFs of your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and where you heard about it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Include "Accounts Payable Accountant" in the subject line.
Providence House is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Providence House encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran status, sexual orientations and marital statuses to apply.