Summary of Position:
Under the leadership of the Director of Public Gardens, the Horticulturist will bring technical skills, inspiration, and support to the Trustees’ gardens. This individual will establish a long-range strategy for the appropriate care of the Bradley Estate’s landscape and gardens, a structure for the implementation of best horticultural practices, an ability to lead interns, volunteers and seasonal employees in exceptional standards of garden maintenance, and to interact with all visitors, members, and donors in an open, engaging manner. This energetic, positive individual will bring their professional gardening talent to the appropriate care of the gardens, assist with living collections management, and implement best stewardship practices established under the leadership of the Director of Public Gardens.
The Horticulturist must have both the vision to achieve an innovative public gardens program as well as the hands-on skills to ensure execution.
- Directs the horticultural stewardship and growth of the garden under the supervision of the Director of Public Gardens.
- Performs all duties associated with plant acquisition, propagation, installation, maintenance and care of permanent and seasonal plantings, including greenhouse production, care of plant stock and assistance with living collections curation practices.
- Collaborates with curatorial staff, engagement staff, stewardship staff, management, and consultants on the research, development and execution of garden restorations, care of post mature and new plantings, engagement program content, and publications.
- Positively motivates and leads seasonal staff, volunteers and interns in the maintenance, installation and care of plant collections with careful, detailed attention to planting plans, record keeping, and proper plant identification.
- Schedules, guides, and supervises contractors for tree care at the Bradley Estate as well as the Ames Estate in Easton.
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility and submits and tracks horticultural budget expenditures against the operating, donor-restricted, and other associated budgets for both Bradley and Ames
- Guides the implementation of policies and best practices to guide great garden design and exceptional horticultural standards in balance with their natural surroundings and historic integrity.
- Supports the efficient organization of staff and volunteers, develops management and conservation recommendations for the plant collections.
- Participates in horticulture-related grant application decisions and submissions, as directed.
- Participates in meeting assignments as needed.
- Communicates efficiently and effectively via all Microsoft applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook 365, PowerPoint), Skype for Business, garden design drawings, phone calls, text messages, and in-person meetings.
- Performs, directs or reports on special studies, projects and assignments as requested.
Education and Experience:
- Four-year baccalaureate degree in horticulture or related field of study preferred.
- Three or more years of hands-on experience and an employment history that shows increasing responsibilities in the public garden field
- Experience supervising staff, interns and/or volunteers.
- Pesticide Applicator’s License preferred.
- A strong record of public garden maintenance and management.
- Knowledge or experience in the following areas: arboriculture, perennials, vegetable growing, formal garden design, water features, woodlands, fruit trees and potted displays.
- Demonstrated ability to lead with a sense of excitement and self-confidence and motivate others.
- Demonstrated knowledge of horticultural care and conservation, cataloguing, stewardship and applied practice.
- Ability to inspire confidence and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization including staff, volunteers, donors, trustees, and diverse public constituencies.
- Ability to collaborate and seek partnerships through creating regional, national and international networks.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff, interns and volunteers.
- Demonstrated skills in creative problem-solving and strategic analysis and planning.
- Strength in oral and written communications and the management of multiple tasks.
- A proven, passionate commitment to the values, mission and purposes represented by The Trustees
- Valid driver’s license required for driving Trustees’ vehicles.
- This position requires heavy lifting, bending, kneeling and working outdoors in all types of weather.
- Background check required.
Reports to the Director of Public Gardens; works closely with all site staff at the Bradley and Ames Estates. May have seasonal direct reports.
- Variable outdoor weather conditions.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds
Please Note: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
About the Organization:
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 117 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 60,000 member households.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Trustees of Reservations aims to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts, who are at the core of our mission.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online via The Trustees' website linked here.