At Team Read our mission is creating opportunities for teens to tutor kids to achieve reading success. Team Read’s dual impact is working towards 2nd and 3rd graders becoming great readers while giving teens a job where they will develop key career and life skills. More information is on our website www.teamread.org.
Team Read is seeking part time (6-8 hours/week) Team Read+ Site Support Staff (multiple positions available) for some of our elementary school sites. Team Read+ is an extension of our afterschool program that is 3 hours long, twice a week. Team Read+ Site Support Staff will work with a small, dedicated team under direct supervision of the Site Coordinator to run our Team Read + program.
Team Read+ Site Support Staff work directly with a group of elementary school kids and 3 other staff members for two hours (snack, movement, read aloud & related activity), and mentor teen Reading Coaches working 1 on 1 with an elementary reading buddy during the last hour of the day. Team Read+ Site Support Staff are essential members of the team, performing a variety of jobs including: setting up, leading, and cleaning up activities; engaging in games & activities with students; distributing & tracking snacks; conducting read alouds; managing parent sign out or walking students to the bus at pick up; and other duties as assigned.
· Supervises children to ensure their health and safety
· Leads culturally relevant and developmentally appropriate activities planned by Site Coordinator
· Observes one-on-one reading coaching, provides direct support and feedback to reading coaches and encourages best practices in the Team Read model (training in model upon hiring)
· Develops supportive relationship with teen coaches and students and helps foster positive learning environment
· Maintains behavior expectations for coaches and student readers established by Site Coordinator
· Supports Site Coordinator by leading, assisting and engaging in activities, distributing and recording snacks, setting and cleaning up, managing student pick up and other duties as needed
· Attend monthly staff meetings
· At least 1-2 years’ experience working with children
· Experience implementing group activities preferred
· Experience with positive behavior management, or willingness to learn preferred
· Flexibility and ability to take initiative
· Solutions oriented problem solver
· Enjoys giving and receiving feedback
· Enthusiasm and passion for working with kids, teens, and literacy
The work that Team Read does with grade school and high school kids changes their trajectory in life. Students more than double their reading progress while teens achieve confidence and skills from their first job. If you’re interested in joining the Team Read team in making a difference in the community please send your resume, cover letter, and 3 references to Rachel@teamread.org to apply.
Pay: $16.10 or $17.35/hour, depending on experience and SPS salary schedule
Location: One of the following schools and days:
- John Muir Elementary School 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM Monday/12:45 PM to 4:30 PM Wednesday
- MLK Elementary School 2:00 PM to 6:00 PM Tuesday/Thursday
Hours: 6-8 hours/week - including hours for meetings, trainings, etc. Off-site meeting/training occasionally.
Start Date: Mid-September
End Date: Mid-May, with potential for additional work in the future
For more information about Team Read visit www.teamread.org
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in writing, reading, listening and speaking English
Proficiency with other languages prevalent in Seattle Public Schools (Spanish, Amharic, Somali, Vietnamese, and others) desirable
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit the following by email: (1) cover letter describing your skills and experiences that make you the best candidate for the position, (2) resume, and (3) 3 references. Please include your first and last name in the pdf name(s) and send to: Rachel@teamread.org
Applications reviewed as received, position open until filled. Questions may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.