District of Columbia
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Do you want to work at the intersection of politics, citizen activism, and fundraising? Are you interested in a rapidly expanding organization that is changing the way people think and talk about democracy? We seek an experienced development professional to help us expand our political and organizational footprint. The ideal candidate will have a background in fundraising as well as politics, democracy reform, or both. He or she will be responsible for grant administration, grant writing, tracking, and reporting activities for the organization.
The core responsibilities include prospect research and identification, proposal and report writing and submission, and monitoring and tracking progress toward goals of grants within portfolio.
- Work with development, finance, and management teams to manage administration of current grants, including tracking deadlines, collecting information from program staff and the finance department.
- Writing and submitting timely proposals, reports, updates and stewardship reports, and letters of inquiry.
- Support management, program, state staff, and/or board members working with current foundation donors and/or foundation prospects.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with staff members across the organization, in order to ensure an ongoing and thorough understanding of Common Cause’s programs, goals, and strategic direction.
The ideal candidate will possess the following abilities:
- Proven track record as a grant administrator and grant writer.
- Experience with both 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 organizations and ability to identify deliverables and craft proposals that meet legal requirements for each type of organization.
- Ability to work with program staff to surface existing 501(c)3 work to include in proposals as well to help them understand 501(c)3 activities required for grants.
- Experience with program and budget development and monitoring.
- Superb communications skills – especially writing.
- Eager to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, team-oriented, and goal-driven environment.
- Outgoing and positive attitude.
- A strong commitment to the Common Cause mission, especially our nonpartisan approach to helping citizens participate in democracy and hold power accountable.
- Develop thorough understanding of Common Cause’s mission and strategic goals, working with key staff to translate that knowledge into fundable proposals.
- Ability to communicate clearly Common Cause positions on policy matters.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of three years of foundation fundraising experience, but preference for five years or more with demonstrated track record of success in securing five-and six-figure grants.
- Self-starter with the ability to work both independently and as member of a team.
- Familiarity with CRM software such as ROI Solutions or the web-interface versions of Raiser’s Edge or DonorPerfect preferred. Ability to maintain detailed records of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities.
- Strong project management, team leadership, and time-management skills, proven ability to plan, meet deadlines, and efficiently manage multiple projects and priorities under tight time constraints. Highly organized, able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and cover letter to the Director of Human Resources at email@example.com and include GRANTS MANAGER & WRITER in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to respond as soon as possible.
ABOUT COMMON CAUSE:
Common Cause is a nonpartisan, grassroots organization dedicated to restoring core values of American Democracy, reinventing an open, honest, and accountable government that works for the public interest, and empowering ordinary people to make their voices heard.
Founded 48 years ago, Common Cause has over 1.1 million members and supporters, and chapters in 30 states around the country. At the national and state level, Common Cause is actively engaged in defending and advancing the core values of our democracy, which include politics not dominated by money, full access to voting and fair elections, economic opportunity for all, an ethical and accountable government, and an open and democratic media. More information can be found at: www.commoncause.org.
Common Cause is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, party or political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any illegal or prohibited factor.
Minimum Education Required