Details: Please review job description details for more information on salary range.
1115 Massachusetts Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
We’re looking for a creative, detail oriented digital organizer to join our fast-growing non-profit organization. We are looking for someone who has proven skills and a passion for using digital media to motivate people to act.
About the organization: Solar United Neighbors is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to creating a clean, equitable, resilient energy system that benefits everyone. We believe rooftop solar will be the cornerstone of that new energy system. We are aggressively growing our national membership, policy, and advocacy activities to build a clean energy movement. We help people go solar, join together, and fight for their energy rights.
We are a national organization with a national membership. We also, run robust grassroots programs in Washington, D.C., Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, New Jersey, Minnesota, Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, Texas and Indiana. We are expanding to new states each year. Each state program promotes solar throughout its jurisdiction through education, events, advocacy, and local solar installation bulk-purchase programs. The programs share three goals:
- Develop and scale solar energy projects within communities,
- Pass solar policies that expand the local solar market, and
- Build a community of clean energy advocates across political fault lines.
Our organization is scaling rapidly, and our office is a fast-paced multi-faceted environment, ideal for someone looking to dive in and help lead the growth of a dynamic and growing non-profit organization.
About the position: The digital organizer will be a critical part of the communications team and will be responsible for helping support grassroots, membership, advocacy, and fundraising programs. This position will help Solar United Neighbors tap into the public’s intense passion for solar – across the political spectrum - and use digital communications to take our organizing and engagement efforts to a new level. You will join the existing membership, engagement and communications team of five people.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead our social media efforts to grow our audience, build meaningful connections, and encourage engagement by developing high-quality content. Improve the performance of our existing social media channels and make recommendations on where to expand next.
- Become the marketing and communications expert with our email CMS. Apply email best practices and data segmentation strategies to improve overall email interaction rates and help nurture our supporters up the ladder of engagement toward volunteering, online and in-person advocacy, membership, donations, and eventually community leadership. We are building a movement of solar supporters and you will be central to this effort.
- Work with internal groups and external agencies to design and execute compelling digital campaigns in our Google Grant space and in other paid online advertising channels that support our national and in-state programs.
- Use graphics, video, photography, and compelling messaging to create digital communication materials for our online and social media spaces that motivate and inspire our supporters and raise our organization’s profile.
- Play a critical role in ensuring our website contains relevant and engaging content that meets our campaign goals and organizational objectives. Coordinate with staff across the organization to identify and improve website content and the user experience and maintain a consistent organization style.
- Apply SEO best practices to grow organic website traffic. Analyze website performance and improve conversion rates for key listbuilding and e-commerce activities.
- Develop reporting across our digital properties to inform multiple audiences and provide actionable insight to improve performance.
--Help us try new experiments, analyze the results, fail, learn and get better.
--Develop and implement unique and creative initiatives and ideas that further the goals of the organization
--Provide insights and analysis that help us do more with less or even more with more!
- Demonstrated experience building large lists of supporters for an event, organization or candidate.
- Demonstrated success building and engaging a social media following across Facebook, Twitter, and other platforms.
- Strong written, visual and verbal communication skills – with emphasis on digital channels
- Experience managing paid digital promotion campaigns across social media, search and display advertising.
- Demonstrated success moving people up the engagement ladder to become advocates, volunteers and paid supporters (membership, donations and other revenue generating activities).
- Strong knowledge of email and website CMS systems - experience with WordPress EveryAction, and Google Analytics helpful.
- Experience with video editing and graphic design programs. Good visual IQ
- Working knowledge of SEO and basic html.
- Comfortable working with a remote team and in a fast paced and changing environment
- Instinct for story-telling.
This is a full-time year-round position with full health insurance, sick leave, and paid vacation benefits.
Digital organizer is a new position within our organization and is anticipated to grow into a dedicated department over time. We are interested in candidates who are excited to grow the department with us. Depending on applicants and experience we will hire either an Associate Digital Organizer or a Director of Digital Organizing. The salary range for the Associate position is $40,000-$60,000. The Director salary range is $70,000-$110,000/year.
The position will be based at our D.C. Headquarters office: 1115 Massachusetts Ave, NW Washington, D.C. unless a compelling candidate convinces us otherwise.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter to Emily Stiever at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Solar United Neighbors is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
We strongly encourage leaders of color, women and those who identify as LGBTQ to apply.
Minimum Education Required