Reports to: Program Director
Status: Hourly, Non-Exempt, 40 hours/week
Salary Range: $20-$25 per hour
There are currently 2 open positions. One is for a permanent placement and the other is a temporary position available through mid-November 2021.
MEarth is a non-profit environmental organization which educates and inspires through environmental stewardship. The organization serves children in Monterey County and the surrounding region at the Hilton Bialek Habitat in Carmel Valley. We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated educator to work with students K-12th grade in an outdoor environment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Using MEarth’s facilities to teach K-12th grade environmental stewardship classes using the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Teaching PK-12th grade students about healthy eating and lifestyle choices by leading them through the growing and harvesting of foods from our one acre edible garden.
- Leading and/or supporting restoration projects onsite and at local natural areas.
- Supervising volunteers who support MEarth’s educational programs.
- Support and/or lead collaborative programming with guest speakers and community partners.
- Coordinating daily and weekly program logistics for summer camp.
- Contributing to lesson plan and curriculum development, as needed.
- Leading outdoor educational programming, both independently and in partnership with other staff.
- Providing additional programming, habitat maintenance, and administrative support, as needed.
- Experience and interest in developing standards-aligned science curriculum
- Ability to make outdoor learning and education fun and engaging
- Educational background in environmental science, education, and/or related field
- Minimum of 1-3 years of experience managing and teaching groups of students in various environments (formal and/or informal, outdoors, indoors, classroom, camp, tutoring, etc.)
- Knowledge of local ecological systems
- Organic gardening and/or farming experience
- Culinary arts or kitchen experience
- Demonstrated commitment to providing equity and inclusion in environmental education
- Ability to work in a collaborative, fast-paced, creative work environment, as well as work independently in a highly organized manner with a keen eye for detail
Additional Beneficial Qualifications:
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector
- Well versed in Apple products and Google platforms (Gmail, Google Calendars, Google Drive).
- Passion for inspiring youth leadership
- Experience working with underserved communities in nutrition and outdoor education
- Experience facilitating events/workshops
- Knowledge and direct experience integrating seasonal garden produce into nutrition curriculum, sourcing ingredients, scaling recipes, bulk purchasing etc.
- Experience developing and documenting curriculum for K-12th grade education programs
- Experience utilizing impact evaluation tools
- Fluency in a foreign language (especially Spanish, French or Chinese) is a plus
Required Physical Capabilities:
Incorporated with one or more of the essential functions of this position are the following essential physical requirements:
- Ability to see for purposes of reading instructions, labels, and other printed matter and for the safe operation of equipment.
- Ability to hear and understand speech at normal levels in person and/or on the telephone.
- Ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand a normal conversation in person and/or on the telephone.
- Ability to operate a computer, typewriter, calculator, copy machine, telephone and other office equipment with dexterity and in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ability to routinely lift and carry supplies and materials weighing up to 25 pounds.
The working environment is subject to bending, crouching, or kneeling to access information and/or to assist students from ground level to 4.5 feet above the ground, pushing, pulling and lifting of instructional equipment and supplies, sitting on chairs or floor, leaning over for prolonged periods of time, reaching in all directions, and working outdoors for prolonged periods of time.
Successful completion of the hiring process is contingent upon the applicant passing a multi-agency livescan fingerprint/background check and TB test (paid for by MEarth).
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other duties, as required, to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Employment at MEarth is at-will.
MEarth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls please.
- Application Deadlines: July 31st, 2021
- Please submit your resume, cover letter and references HERE (Please, no phone calls)