The Los Dichos Manager will elevate our “Los Dichos” programming and achievement of multilingual learners, develop cultural competence, and support high family engagement. The Los Dichos program exemplifies Rocketship’s pillar of parent power and supports inclusive school culture. Each month, parent volunteers lead read-aloud lessons centered around multicultural and multilingual books. By teaching a lesson in multiple languages, the volunteers demonstrate that their language and heritage are valued in the classroom and reinforces a positive cultural identity for their children and their culturally and linguistically diverse classmates. All students in the class learn the same positive lesson and develop greater appreciation and respect for the culture of their classmates, promoting greater cultural competence and social justice throughout the school community.
The Los Dichos Manager will report to the Associate Director of Humanities.
- Program and Team Management
- Direct supervisor to Los Dichos coordinators (2)
- Manage budget and ensure that fiscal resources are used effectively to compensate lead parents, purchase instructional materials, pay for translation, and other operational costs.
- Manage program operations, including but not limited to: Develop program calendars for each campus, track parent volunteer levels, materials management and school delivery.
- Stakeholder Engagement and Communications
- Ensure consistent touch points with members of school leadership teams (DOS, P, AP, BOM, OM) to ensure that all members of the team have clarity on the purpose and role-based responsibilities of the Los Dichos Program.
- Develop media and communication for school sites to share with students and families.
- Monitor parent volunteer hours at each school, celebrate schools meeting/exceeding their volunteer rates/hours, develop plans to address lower turn out rates
- Training and Development
- Design and Facilitate Summer Orientation for School Staff
- Regional Implementation: Coordinate training for each region
- Develop trainings for each text (format/structure)
- If needed, lead and/or assist in site based training, led by coordinators and lead parents
- Content Creation
- Design scope and sequence map for the academic year, which includes texts that are representative of the diverse cultures and language backgrounds of students
- Develop activities aligned to each text to amplify the “dicho” (lesson) of the text and build cultural competence of students
- Work with coordinators to translate materials and embed supports for consistent delivery
- Minimum 5 years of education and/or relevant experience
- 2 years of experience managing staff, managing volunteers, or otherwise influencing and coordinating groups of people
- Previous experience and success with working in partnership with families
- Passion for Rocketship mission and commitment to culturally and linguistically relevant teaching practices and amplifying parent power.
- Exceptional professionalism and judgement and ability to navigate conflict and manage confidential information
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to turn policies and ideas into clear communication in multiple formats.
- Experience designing and implementing policies with a focus on equity and transparency
- Demonstrated ability to be detail-oriented, organized, and resourceful.
- Team-player attitude and strong customer-service orientation. Skill at communicating respectfully and empathetically with staff. families, and students.
- Skilled at building strong and trusting working relationships with people in both senior- and junior-level roles.
- Strong PC-based computer skills, including the ability to use spreadsheets and the Google Suite.
- Bilingual Preferred - Spanish/English