The Career and Education Coach (CEC) will be part of ACHIEVEability’s growing efforts to address un- and under-employment and lack of education attainment in Philadelphia, with a primary focus on the Haddington and Cobbs Creek neighborhoods. Reporting to the Workforce Development Coordinator, the Career and Education Coach will provide coaching for job seekers and students of all ages participating in ACHIEVEability’s Work Smart West Philly, Community Services, and Family Self-Sufficiency programs. The CEC will work closely with the Workforce Development Coordinator to plan, coordinate, and execute ACHa’s workforce development programming as well as lead ACHIEVEability’s academic support for participants and their children.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Individual Case Management
- Provide career and academic coaching to participants in ACHa’s programs to support their career development and academic advancement.
- Assist participants with their resume writing, interviewing skills, self-presentation, the job search process, employment skills, understanding employee rights and responsibilities, understanding benefits and compensation–through individual coaching and workshops.
- Provide ongoing assessments of participants’ skills and needs through use of appropriate career interest/aptitude and employment skills assessment tools.
- Provide academic planning and tutoring support for participants seeking to advance their education through individual coaching and workshops.
- Motivate, plan, educate, and follow up with participants regarding job retention and career advancement.
- Coordinate resources to address barriers to successfully maintaining employment and educational progress.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with other educational and career-focused nonprofit organizations.
- Identify and recruit participants for coaching and workforce readiness programming.
- Identify and recruit volunteers to support programming.
- Represent ACHa at community and partner-hosted events to promote workforce development programming and the organization.
Data & Evaluation
- Maintain complete and accurate information in participant files and database (internal and external).
- Adhere to deadlines and programmatic/grant outcomes.
- Maintain documentation of all participant encounters.
- Support other staff in meeting reporting requirements and deadlines.
- Support the Workforce Development Coordinator in planning and hosting career readiness workshops, and maintaining jobs database.
- Plan and conduct workshops around various academic components towards achieving higher or advanced education.
- Manage volunteers for programming.
- Participate in developing and enhancing the organization’s service strategy, program and activities.
- Collaborate with staff members across the organization to ensure integration of plans, services and evaluation.
- Actively participate in team meetings and organizational events.
- Abide be terms of personnel manual and departmental of standard operating procedures.
- Adhere to internal and external deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
· Bachelor's degree required from an accredited college or university
· Commitment to the mission of ACHIEVEability
- Minimum of 1 year experience providing services to vulnerable children, individuals or families in a social service agency or academic setting
- Possesses strong problem solving skills and work ethic
- Has a reliable car with insurance, has a valid driver's license
- Enthusiastic, energetic, creative, follows through, and eager to learn
- Punctuality, flexibility, and ability to multitask and prioritize
- Excellent listening, observation, reading, verbal, nonverbal and writing skills
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends
- Comfortable working in West Philadelphia
- Ability to communicate, connect with and positively motivate adults and children
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and exercise tact and self-control
- General computer skills, including word processing, internet and email
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance (Company Paid)
- 403B (Company Paid)
- Life Insurance, Short and Long term disability (Company Paid)
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Reimbursement
Minimum Education Required