247 West 37th Street
For 20 years, Girls Write Now has been a leader in arts education as New York’s first and only writing and mentoring organization for girls. We match underserved teen girls and gender non-conforming youth from throughout the five boroughs of New York City with women professional writers and digital media makers as their personal mentors. Our mentees are published in outlets including The New York Times, Newsweek, and BuzzFeed, perform at Lincoln Center and the United Nations, and earn hundreds of Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. 100% of Girls Write Now seniors are accepted to college. The organization has been distinguished three times by the White House as one of the nation’s top youth programs and twice by the Nonprofit Excellence Awards as one of New York’s top ten nonprofits. Reaching thousands of girls, Girls Write Now is a founding partner of the New York City Council’s STARS Citywide Girls Initiative.
Girls Write Now seeks an Operations Manager who is a team player and passionate about empowering young women’s voices through writing and mentoring. Reporting to the Executive Director and working collaboratively across departments, the Operations Manager will oversee and manage core operations functions, including: finance, human resources, data/systems, and office infrastructure.
· Oversees annual audit, serving as primary liaison to Controller and independent auditor
· Develops annual budget in coordination with Executive Director and Senior Staff
· Coordinates weekly bookkeeping activities, biweekly payroll, and benefits administration
· Produces program/project budgets and timely financial reports; handles grants and government contract administration in collaboration with Development Staff
· Oversees internship program in coordination with departmental supervisors, including recruitment, onboarding, providing ongoing program support, and researching/implementing best practices
· Plays active role in recruiting and onboarding new staff and interns, including training on various systems and ensuring that staff/interns have a high level of support, complete information, and all physical materials needed to succeed
· Establishes and maintains productive relationships with partners, vendors, consultants, and building/facilities representatives
· Serves as gatekeeper for daily office operations, including: addressing/re-routing external information requests via phone and email; maintaining a clean, organized, and efficient office environment; resolving space issues (technology, facilities, equipment)
· Manages centralized office protocols around acquiring and maintaining organizational assets (supplies, technology, equipment, furniture, use of credit cards and petty cash)
· Performs basic cost-benefit and other analyses to support organizational decision-making; create and maintain physical and electronic files and tracking systems; support organization-wide rollout of new/improved systems and protocols
· Attends and prepares materials for key staff meetings, Board and Committee meetings, funder site visits, and special events
· Undertakes special projects spanning all departments and requiring collaboration with staff at all levels
· Other duties, as assigned
We offer competitive salaries and benefit packages, including: health insurance, retirement, and flexible spending plans, and 20 paid leave days plus holidays.
Level of Language Proficiency
Successful candidates will be goal-oriented, able to meet deadlines, and focused on deliverables, while demonstrating flexibility and adapting to new priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- B.A. degree required
- A minimum of five years of nonprofit management experience
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong financial management experience (fiscal/audit processes, reporting, budgeting)
- Human capital, talent, and/or recruiting experience preferred
- Self-starter, active learner, and natural project manager who is eager to generate solutions to problems and see them through to completion
- Exceptional maturity and ability to use good judgment and discretion in all circumstances
· Experience prioritizing multiple assignments, meeting tight deadlines, and willing to be flexible with a lean staff in a fast-paced environment
- Systems thinker and technically savvy, especially with data management and organizational systems (e.g., Salesforce, QuickBooks, WordPress, email marketing)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Priority deadline is August 15th and early applications are highly encouraged. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No calls, please.