Summer Internship at Maya Angelou Academy
- Job posted by Maya Angelou Schools and See Forever Foundation
Full Time Temporary
8400 River Road
Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation's mission has been to create learning communities in lower income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. The Foundation operates the Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools in DC, as well as the Maya Angelou Academy at New Beginnings’ secure facility for committed youth in Laurel, MD. Our students develop the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
We assumed operation of the Maya Angelou Academy (formerly the Oak Hill Academy) during the summer of 2007. Nearly all of the students are years behind grade level academically, many have special needs, and most have experienced significant trauma at some point in their lives. Our mission at the Academy is to provide a safe, nurturing and mutually respectful environment that motivates and prepares each student to fulfill his academic or career potential. With the support of a wide circle of caring adults, students will develop the skills they need to make sound decisions and lead rewarding lives.
If you are interested in learning more about See Forever, please visit our website at www.seeforever.org.
At the Maya Angelou Schools, the key to our success is rooted in building trusting, respectful and nurturing relationships with each other. We strive to create safe spaces for all to be able to reach their limitless potential. We are at our best when we work together to ensure the unique needs of our community are met. We empower each other to grow successfully so we can see forever! This is how we live the Maya Way, even when no one is watching.
Core Beliefs and Desired Characteristics
Candidates should possess an unyielding belief that with the appropriate supports, coupled with high expectations, all students can significantly improve their academic skills, and can develop pro-social and culturally normative behaviors that will enable them to succeed at school and beyond. Candidates should also believe that all students have strengths and talents and that good teachers help students find them and use them to address weaknesses or overcome fears. In addition, candidates should exhibit the following characteristics:
- Honesty & Integrity: Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Analytical skills: able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it; exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights
- Persistence: Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done.
- Strategic thinking/visioning: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way; determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends
- Flexibility/adaptability: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; copes effectively with complexity and change
- Enthusiasm: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has can do attitude.
The See Forever Foundation is recruiting current college students and recent graduates to work with us this summer at the Maya Angelou Academy in Laurel, MD. Students who are enrolled in education programs or are interested in pursuing a career in teaching are especially encouraged to apply.
The Maya Angelou Academy is the school at New Beginnings, a secure juvenile detention facility serving young men and women from the District of Columbia who have been adjudicated delinquent. Summer interns will take on critical roles over the summer, serving as teaching assistants in the classrooms and program leaders in our morning assemblies.
All interns must be available from Thursday, June 21 through Friday, July 27, 2018. Each school day will begin at 7:30 and end at 3:00.
Working as a summer intern at Maya Angelou Academy represents a unique opportunity to learn what it is like to be a teacher and to work day-to-day with a progressive organization that is directly involved in improving the education and juvenile justice system in Washington, DC.
Please note that public transportation to the Academy is limited. A personal vehicle is required.
- Assist the Academy teachers with lesson planning and material production
- Be an active participant in the classroom
- Set-up and breakdown of classroom space, including securing and organizing the appropriate materials
- Collaborate with staff to establish and maintain a supportive and structured environment for the students
- Serve as a leader at the morning assembly each day of the program
- Serve as a leader in developing social-emotional learning activities
- Must be between 19 – 30 years of age, completed at least one year of college, and have plans to complete the college degree
- Maintain or have graduated with at least a 2.5 G.P.A.
- Solid commitment to education and youth advocacy
- Ability to motivate others and work as part of an intergenerational team
- Strong appreciation and understanding of individual cultural history and the willingness to be open and respectful of all cultures
- Willingness to strive for excellence in all areas
- Ability to think critically and analytically
- Exhibit behavior and positive attitude; model a mature and professional demeanor
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Authorization for background check for criminal and child protective findings
Interns will earn a stipend of $105 per day; this amount will increase if you are a returning intern. The internship includes three days of training and orientation and 23 days of instruction.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying for a summer internship with See Forever, please submit your resume and cover letter to: Summer Internship.