The USBC's membership network of breastfeeding coalitions and influential professional, educational, and governmental organizations align collaborative action for a shared mission to develop policy and practices that create a landscape of breastfeeding support across the United States. The Coalition Relation Coordinator supports the management of USBC’s diverse array of capacity building programs and services for State, Territorial, Tribal, local and cultural breastfeeding coalitions under the direction of the Coalition Relations Director. The Coalition Relations Coordinator provides administrative, communication and meeting facilitation support to the Coalition Relations Director, and assists in identifying, planning and implementing strategies for aligned action. The ideal candidate is one who has the ability to work independently, has a strong demonstrated commitment to social justice issues, is interested in supporting personal growth in oneself and in others, and has excellent interpersonal communications skills.
Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite and general computer competency are essential, along with excellent attention to detail and written/verbal communication skills. This position is located in the San Francisco Bay Area. The USBC staff work from their homes, providing their own computer, phone, and phone/internet connections, with support provided via monthly stipends under a "Bring Your Own Device" (BYOD) policy. The Coalition Relations Coordinator will primarily telecommute, with travel to meet with the Coalition Relations Director in person twice weekly.
Cross-country travel within the United States will be required a few times per year: participating in USBC's in-person Membership meeting and Annual Breastfeeding Coalitions conference in Washington, DC or another Metropolitan city, a 3-day USBC staff retreat, participation in 1-2 conferences and/or stakeholder meetings.
Salary: competitive, based on experience
Status: Full Time Position – Exempt. This position is made possible through grant funding, some or all of which is time limited. While the USBC will make every effort to secure continued funding, indefinite continuation of this position cannot be guaranteed.
- Bachelor’s Degree, with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in administrative/coordination role
- Individuals with nonprofit and/or public health experience, including working with local/state health departments, social services agencies, creating consumer education and training materials, are especially encouraged to apply.
- Experience with Windows operating system and a variety of software programs (Microsoft Office essential); high comfort level with learning new software (training provided)
- Strong focus on customer service, including effectively problem solving member concerns in coordination with Coalition Relations Director, building and maintaining trusting stakeholder relationships and managing collaborative group processes
- An understanding of concepts of social and racial justice and health equityDatabase management experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Time management and organizational skills to manage and prioritize ongoing projects as well as daily/weekly tasks and work well under pressure
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort with diverse individuals and personality types
- Self-motivated, proactive, and flexible
- Discretion in handling sensitive or confidential information
- High level of professionalism, integrity, and authenticity
- Ability to work well in a virtual team environment, and collaborative with diverse staff, volunteers, and member and partner organizations
The Coalition Relations Coordinator will be required, among other tasks, to:
- Work with Coalition Relations Director to compile, edit, prepare, and disseminate external communications and promotion/outreach, education and advocacy materials for coalition training and technical assistance programs and services;
- Support activities related to membership management: update and maintain Coalitions Directory, maintain accurate databases of coalition leaders and key contacts, and manage aligned listservs;
- Manage and maintain both public and private website sections related to coalitions;
- Support member relations activities related to capacity building: facilitate networking calls, manage Coalition Learning Communities, provide administrative and planning support for webinar series; lead the "Coalition Spotlight" initiative, write routine reports and correspondence; etc.;
- Support Coalition Relations Director to analyze quantitative and qualitative data from periodic surveys, and develop and maintain an inventory of current activities of coalitions;
- Work in close collaboration with members of the USBC staff team, and support the Coalition Relations Director in the design and implementation of training programs and customized technical assistance to breastfeeding coalitions;
- Support coalition leader training on use of online community platform and collaboration and networking tools; Assist with planning and logistics for coalition conferences, meetings, and associated events, and provide onsite event support for Membership Meetings and Annual Coalitions Convening;
- Coordinate technical assistance needs of coalitions and support them to meet set deadlines on funded projects;
- Support scheduling of meetings, including setup of conference call and/or webinar logistics;
- Monitor coalitions phone line, voicemail, and e-mail box; follow up on in a timely manner as assigned;
- Attend phone and web meetings; type, format, and distribute minutes accordingly;
- Assist with maintenance of electronic and paper files;
- Support staff team with other program/project work, as assigned
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
This position is available immediately, and applications will be accepted and considered on a rolling basis, through Sunday, May 6, 2018. Interested individuals may submit an application w/ resume, cover letter, at the link provided; do not mail or fax applications. Please, no phone calls. All applicants will receive a notification e-mail when the hiring process is complete.