The Appalachian Mountain Club, America’s oldest conservation and recreation organization, is now searching for an Outdoor Guide in Crawford Notch, a multi-sport outdoor destination unlike any other! With an extensive trail network at its front door, waterfalls, lakes and more, the Highland Center is the perfect base for outdoor adventures. If this sounds like a destination for you, then consider joining our team!
For over 140 years the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) has promoted conservation throughout the Northeast while helping people get outside. Here are just a few of the ways we’re doing our part!
We protect the mountains, forests, waters and trails of the Northeast through hands-on stewardship, scientific research and public policy advocacy. AMC and our dedicated staff and volunteers care for more than 1,800 miles of trails throughout the Northeast.
AMC is committed to reducing the barriers to active outdoor participation by youth. Through custom experiences and dedicated programs for youth groups, schools, families and teens, AMC is committed to getting 125,000 kids outdoors each year by 2020.
From Maine to New Jersey, the AMC runs overnight lodges, campsites and shelters that welcome all outdoor enthusiasts, providing hot meals, expert advice and promoting leave no trace principles to visitors who lay their head in the wilderness for the night.
Summary Description: The full time, year-round Outdoor Guide leads outdoor trips and teaches outdoor activities based throughout AMC’s Outdoor Program Centers. The Outdoor Guide also acts as an interpretive and informational resource to participants and guests, providing high-quality guest service as well as assists in the training, supervision and evaluation of seasonal Outdoor Guide staff.
We seek a skilled guide and an energetic team member that shares a passion for the AMC’s mission to make the outdoors accessible to all!
- Lead and teach programs that focus on backcountry travel skills, safety and local natural history in all seasons.
- Lead and co-lead day and multi-day backpacking programs, including travel to AMC Backcountry Huts.
- Prioritize the safety of all participants and guests. Be responsive and sensitive to participant needs.
- Provide accurate and relevant information and advice on a variety of topics including backcountry conditions, White Mountain National Forest regulations, outdoor equipment and area points of interest.
- Develop and maintain educational materials, including program manuals, on-site libraries and games, self-guided activities, posters and displays.
- Meet regularly with the Program Manager and Outdoor Guide team to assess progress and make needed changes to the program. Assist with new program development.
- Cross-train in order to support other AMC functional areas, including front desk staff, AMC’s A Mountain Classroom school programs and others as assigned.
- Maintain outdoor gear and equipment in our equipment room.
- Assist in the training, supervision and evaluation of seasonal staff.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Demonstrated experience leading outdoor trips.
- Strong outdoor skills and teaching ability in backpacking, hiking, camping, canoeing, winter hiking and Nordic/backcountry skiing.
- Experience with group management, including creating and maintaining a welcoming and safe environment.
- Strong interest in working with people from a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to hike several hours per day on uneven terrain, in remote areas, while carrying a backpack and other equipment up to 40 pounds, in all weather conditions.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent guest service skills.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Ability to safely drive 12 passenger van and possession of clear personal driving history.
- Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR certifications. AMC is able to provide these trainings if needed.
- Must be over 18 years old.
Employee Perks: In addition to a competitive salary, AMC offers an exceptional benefits package.
- Generous paid time off benefits.
- Health insurance with a hefty employer contribution.
- A retirement plan with an employer match.
- Access to various pro deals that help you purchase gear at deeply reduced rates.
- Free admission to cultural and environmental venues throughout New England.
- And more!
To Apply: Now accepting applications! Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. No phone calls please.
The AMC has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. The AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
The AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. The AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
Minimum Education Required