Reporting to the Associate Director of Purchasing, the Purchasing Assistant provides skills and knowledge necessary to assist in the general operation of the Purchasing Department, P-Card, and Fixed Assets programs.
Essential Duties Summary
- Responsible for all clerical duties related to the creation of purchase orders; enter data from requisitions onto College database, verify availability of budget funds, review requisitions, and supporting documentation and generate purchase orders.
- Serve as Purchasing "Help Desk" for the Barnard community. Assist internal customers with purchase order discrepancies and verify information in the database. Perform additional tasks as assigned by the Director and Associate Director.
- Provide administrative support for the department. Field all incoming calls (for the main department phone line and route them to proper channels) retrieve, open, and sort departmental mail, replenish department's office supplies when necessary, provide initial contact for user departments, directing all inquiries; interact with vendors and screen calls and emails for department, and maintain calendars for the Director and Associate Director.
- Follow-up on purchase orders made by departments in order to meet net term agreements; generate report of 30 day old purchase orders that have not been processed for payment; act as liaison between Accounts Payable, Purchasing, and vendors in reconciling all open purchase orders.
- Correspond tactfully and in a timely fashion with user departments about inquiries concerning the College's procurement process and policies.
- Assist with sourcing and pricing merchandise for the College community.
- Maintain College's Poland Spring account, coordinate repair and or replacement of water coolers between Vendor and College Departments, reconcile accounts, prepare and submit to Department Administrator for review monthly data-file for uploading to the College's financial data-base.
- Maintain College's off-campus records storage account, Iron Mountain. Coordinate with College Departments and Vendor for the proper recording, storage, retrieval and destruction of files according to the College's Record Retention Policy. Review of vendor invoices, prepare for review monthly data-file for uploading to the College's financial database.
- Maintain and update the department's website under the direction of the Director and Associate Director.
- Maintain all office files (active, inactive, vendor literature and catalogs); aid in processing and handling paper flow by distributing all forms used in department.
- Review requests for office supply orders submitted by College Departments, verify departmental budgets for proper funding, and processes orders with the College's approved office supply vendors. Prepare monthly reconciliation and submit data-file to Associate Director for review and uploading into College's financial database.
- Maintain and update fixed asset module for new and existing capital assets, including asset identification during the procurement process, issuing of asset id number, coding accordingly, tagging, location identification, physical count, and departmental asset custodians.
- Conduct periodical fixed assets inventory audits, identify existing assets without tagging numbers, assign new id numbers, and post newly identifiable assets to the fixed assets module.
- Create inventory reports as well as other related asset reports and records as needed to ensure the integrity of the fixed assets program.
- Conduct a physical inventory every two years; of assets purchased with federal funds. Maintain supporting documentation as required.
- Assist with the education of the cardholders on proper use of P-Cards, including policy & procedure information.
- Partner with Associate Director in preparing the monthly reconciliation of P-Card transactions. This may include communicating with the users to obtain all pertinent information, tracking data, and comparing to vendor statements, and creating of data-file.
- Assist the Associate Director in placing stationery orders.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Barnard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Barnard does not discriminate due to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis, and to the extent permitted by law. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Ability to calculate figures e.g., discounts, proportions, and percentages
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to respond to frequent inquiries regarding contract/procurement policies & procedures
- Proficiency in administrative skills; ability to handle routine correspondence
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and organizational skills; demonstrated customer service skills
- Tact, judgment, and ability to preserve a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to handle many details and to perform well under pressure.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of applications
Required Qualification Summary
- Two years of college
- 3-5 years of office experience; preferred experience in a purchasing/procurement environment
Preferred Qualification Summary
- Experience with ERP software (Colleague, Banner)
- Experience with Excel
Physical Demands Summary
- Purchasing Assistant must stand, walk, bend, reach, kneel, push and pull objects
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply