The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is responsible for the financial and facilities management of the National Domestic Violence Hotline. The CFO reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and is responsible for the day-to-day functions of the finance department, including budget management, cost-benefit analysis, forecasting, fiscal reporting, audit compliance, and financial and programmatic reporting for government contracts and private grants. The CFO is a strategic partner and directs and oversees the organization’s Finances in ways that support the Hotline’s mission and overall strategy.
The CFO is an active member of the Finance and Facilities Team and as such, sets the strategic direction for the department, establishes goals/outcomes, monitors and communicates progress, and ensures financial alignment and support of organizational objectives.
The National Domestic Violence Hotline operates 24/7. All work is informed by, and conducted through adherence to, the values of The Hotline:
- Integrity: We conduct every aspect of our work to the highest ethical standards and hold ourselves accountable to them. We value transparency and staunchly safeguard the confidentiality of those we serve.
- Thought Leadership: We are committed to learning constantly, developing innovative practices, and evolving strategies as necessary to achieve our vision and mission.
- Excellence: We value performance and results. We aspire to be the best and to embrace the challenge to exceed expectations.
- Collaboration: We work as a team within the organization and with a wide range of partners outside of it, in the belief that only through these partnerships will we achieve the broadest impact.
- Social justice: We value diverse perspectives and strive to incorporate an anti-oppression lens in all aspects of our work.
- Caring: We conduct our work with compassion and in the spirit of inclusion, and we meet all individuals with respect and without judgment.
- Survivor-centered: Our work begins and ends with the interests of survivors of relationship abuse in mind.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties:
- Interact regularly in a collaborative way with the executive team and individual department heads to ensure that the organization’s operational priorities are aligned with the organization’s vision, mission, values, and strategic plan.
- Develops tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the CEO and executive leadership team and provides recommendations
- Responsible for overseeing facilities management, including the efficient and cost-effective provision of all building, facilities, property, and office equipment owned or leased by The Hotline.
- Supervises and develops Finance & Facilities team staff, including Controller and Accounting Manager, Facilities Manager, and Administrative Assistant.
- Informs the CEO, leadership, and the boards of directors of fiscal issues, trends, and changes in the operating budgets
- Oversees short and long-term budgetary planning and costs management in alignment with the strategic plan & goals of the agency
- Participates in strategic planning and budgetary implementation
- Evaluates accounting policies and procedures, keeps up with regulatory requirements, and immediately communicates any accounting issues as they arise
- Ensures adequate fiscal controls are implemented and substantiating documentation is approved and available to ensure that all fiscal transactions will pass independent and governmental audits
- Collaborates with executive leadership team members and provides the CEO and Board of Directors with annual operating budgets
- Collaborates with executive leadership team members to ensure programmatic success by providing budgetary advice and counsel, cost analysis support, and guidance on fiscal compliance with all contractual requirements
- Interprets various governmental agencies’ regulations to ensure compliance with all federal, state, local and fiscal guidelines; ensures that all applicable fiscal compliance guidelines, regulations, and requirements are communicated and disseminated to appropriate personnel, and monitors to ensure ongoing compliance
- Responsible for timely dissemination and accuracy of all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including organizational/departmental/other revenue reports, balance sheet reports, reports to funding agencies, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets
- Direct the preparation and monitoring of consultant contracts that meet NDVH procurement policies.
- Responsible for accurate and timely payroll administration
- Develops and maintains systems of internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the organization and oversee federal awards and programs
- Responsible for the coordination and activities of government monitoring visits and independent auditors, ensuring all A-133 and other audit issues are resolved, all 403(b) compliance issues are maintained, and the preparation of the annual financial statements is in accordance with U.S. GAAP and federal, state and other required reporting guidelines
- Monitors all banking and investment activities of the organization, and immediately informs CEO of any unresolved issues
- Responsible for the production of monthly reports including reconciliations with funders, as well as financial statements and cash flow projections for use by the CEO, Executive Leadership and the Audit/Finance Committee and Board of Directors
- Responsible for the disaster recovery plan that ensures effective and ongoing financial operations
- Responsible for the maintenance of the inventory of all fixed assets, including assets purchased with government funds (computers, etc.) assuring all are in accordance with federal regulations
- Develops and utilizes forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s business plans, operations, and cash flow needs
- In collaboration with the CEO, coordinates all meetings with the Finance Committees of the Boards of Directors and provides these members with timely and accurate financial information
- Represents the agency to financial partners, including financial institutions and auditors.
- Remains up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations
- Assesses the benefits of all prospective contracts and funding opportunities and advises the CEO on fiscal design and implementation matter
- Ensures procedures and computer systems maintain proper records and adequate accounting controls
- Responsible for the coordination and timely completion of audits and required tax returns
- Responsible for the analysis and consolidation of cost allocations procedures & indirect cost rate proposals and reports
- Ensures legal and regulatory compliance in all financial matters
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to serve as a unifying force and to position implementation discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Ability to apply accounting principles to the solution of a variety of accounting or fiscal problems
- Ability to perform detailed work with written or numerical data, and to make mathematical calculations with accuracy
- Ability to articulate applicable Office of Management and Budget (OMB) accounting-related Circulars and generally accepted accounting principles applicable to the organization
- Ability to soundly interpret and apply regulations and procedures
- Ability to collect, organize, analyze and process information accurately, quickly, and efficiently and to promptly respond to internal and external requests for information and assistance
- Ability to identify and meet goals, objectives, outcomes, and timelines within broad parameters and to work independently of direct supervision
- Ability to be creative, resourceful, and flexible
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Demonstrated knowledge of not-for-profit accounting in accordance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, OMB Circulars A-133, A-110 and A-122, and appropriate Code of Federal Regulations sections
- A consistent positive solution-oriented response that includes communicating about challenges to the appropriate person in a constructive and productive manner
- Intentionally and actively fostering positive working relationships and organizational culture
- Able to work a flexible schedule as needed to support a 24-hour organization; will be required to attend meetings which may be scheduled during hours outside of traditional working hours
- The ability to lead, motivate, coach, develop and encourage people to achieve a common goal, fostering positive working relationships and team culture
- Familiarity with social justice frameworks and a commitment to being anti-oppressive including being anti-racist, anti-sexist while leading the cultivation of cultures of belonging for all team members, particularly those with identities that have been historically marginalized including people of color, disabled, and transgender and LGBT employees.
- Technical proficiency in the use of Windows Operating Systems and Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 8 years’ experience in the fiscal management of a nonprofit organization with diverse funding sources and annual operating budget of $5+ million, with direct management of the day-to-day financial operations of an organization
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance or Accounting from an accredited university/college.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred.
- Preferred experience with Abila/MIP or similar fund accounting software
This description only includes the essential functions of the job. These statements are not intended to be construed as exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for this position. Employees will be required to follow and any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties required by the job objectives, supervisor, and mission and values of The Hotline. This description does not modify any employee’s at-will-status and is not a contract for continued employment of any duration.