Details: Salary commensurate with experience
215 West 57th Street
The Art Students League of New York – the iconic institution that trained many of the world’s great artists – is seeking a uniquely talented professional to lead its marketing and communications activities.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Marketing & Communications will lead the League’s communications activities, help formulate the League’s strategies, and implement an exciting array
of initiatives. In addition to promoting the League through marketing and PR efforts, this position will work hand-in-hand with the League’s leadership team to support and promote the League’s other key departments, including Classes and Workshops, Fundraising, Public Programming, Art Supply Store, the Board & Membership, and will be responsible for managing and developing the marketing & communication’s team of 5-6 dedicated professionals.
- Plan and execute the League’s outward marketing and internal communications — help determine who, where, and when to direct communications content.
- Lead website and online messaging activities, including Google AdWords, social media, outbound e-mail, annual catalog, Member communications, in-house promotions, fundraising support.
- Support development and fundraising efforts.
- Track and measure levels of engagement over time.
- Serve as a key member and contributor to the League’s Strategic Leadership Team.
- Mentor and lead the marketing/communications team staff.
Execute and supervise press relations, executive communications, marketing research, online user experience and online registration, film production, general writing and editing, monthly welcome meetings, supervision of Board elections, and other marketing and/or communications initiatives as needed.
· Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a business- or communications-related field; an MBA with an
emphasis in communications or marketing, a plus.
· Minimum of 8+ years’ experience in a marketing-related field, including progressive management
experience of designers, writers, and social media managers.
· Development/ Fundraising experience a major plus.
· Facility with the tools needed to execute and manage online marketing.
· Demonstrated ability to think strategically, along with an ability to write marketing plans, initiate
and manage all creative, manage online advertising, social media, websites and e-mail marketing;
a skilled writer/editor, who can present effectively and collaborate with diverse colleagues in other
· An ability to take comprehensive knowledge of the League’s history, heritage, classes and
programs and transform it into creative and useful messages that are sent to the right audiences
through the best distribution channels. Knowledge of arts, education, and/or art history a plus.
· Strong working knowledge of graphic design and print production; event organizing; A/V skills.
· A sense of humor with an ability to manage effectively and gracefully under stress.
Founded in 1875 by artists and for artists, the Art Students League of New York has been instrumental
in shaping America's legacy in the fine arts for more than 140 years. Many of the world’s great artists have trained or taught at the League, including Jackson Pollock, Norman Rockwell, Mark Rothko, Roy Lichtenstein, Georgia O’Keefe, William Merritt Chase, Ai Weiwei, and hundreds of others. The League’s outstanding studio classes, self-directed courses of study, and professional development opportunities support the aspirations of those seeking to make art a profession, while its public programming, openness and affordability make the school a welcoming place for anyone with a passion for art.
This position is eligible to participate in the following employee benefits programs:
- Health Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- TransitChek Program
- Dental Insurance (voluntary)
- Supplemental Insurance (voluntary)
- Employee Assistance Program
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume, salary requirements, and a cover note telling us why your background/experience is right for this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Art Students League is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Principals only. Recruiters, please do not contact or call.