Details: $20.00 per hour
1528 Woodward Ave.
Read to a Child is a national literacy and mentoring non-profit that fosters a love of reading, improves literacy skills, and empowers underserved children by inspiring adults to read aloud to them regularly. Research shows that reading aloud to children is the single most important activity for eventual success in reading, a key factor for success in school, work, and life. When an adult reads aloud to a child, both parties have a joyful, rewarding experience that instills a love of reading, improves literacy skills, and enhances a child’s self-confidence. Read to a Child’s Lunchtime Reading Program utilizes more than 1,800 volunteer mentors from over 150 socially-minded organizations who read one-on-one to more than 1,400 at-risk elementary school students in Greater Boston, Metro Detroit, Hartford, Los Angeles and Miami.
Read to a Child is seeking a part-time Program Manager to oversee and ensure successful implementation of our Lunchtime Reading Program at four school sites in the Metro Detroit area. The Program Manager will report to the Metro Detroit Director and work closely with the VP, Program Management to ensure program quality and consistency. Job responsibilities include:
- Ensure program success at each school by effectively hiring, training, supervising, and retaining school site coordinators
- Support school coordinators in the implementation of program operations including but not limited to kick off and end of year processes, school coordinator calendar tasks and program quality/effectiveness surveys
- Participate in the creation and updating of needed program materials, in coordination with the VP, Program Management
- Work with school site coordinators to sustain teachers’ and principals’ enthusiasm for the program
- Support volunteers with book ideas, read-aloud techniques, and guidelines for effectively working with students in concert with national consistency guidelines
- Ensure accurate database records of volunteers and students
- Conduct sessions at the offices of our corporate partners to recruit, train, and screen new volunteers
- Collaborate regularly with fellow Program Manager/s and VP, Program Management to maintain consistency among the locations
- Meet regularly with the Metro Detroit Director and VP, Program Management to maximize program quality and expansion
The successful candidate must believe in and be driven by the organization’s mission and vision. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for expanding Read to a Child and a professional, dynamic, positive approach to building relationships to support the organization’s growth. We are seeking a high-energy Program Manager who is mission-driven and self-directed, skilled in volunteer management and customer service, and excited about working in a fast-paced environment. Candidates should possess the following qualifications:
- A clear interest in children’s literacy and a passion for working to help children succeed
- Top-notch organizational skills
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Commitment to efficient use of resources
- Experience managing a large number of volunteers and supervising multiple staff members
- Experience with email, databases, Microsoft Office software, Google Applications
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in a results-oriented, relationship-focused for-profit or nonprofit organization
- Local travel to schools required; access to a car highly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required
This position will average 15-20 hours per week over the course of the school year. The responsibilities vary dependent upon the time of year. There may be weeks in the Fall and Spring which may require up to 30 hours/week while other weeks will require as few as 10 hours/week. It’s reasonable to expect 4-6 weeks “off” during the summer. The person in this position will work closely with the Metro Detroit Director to maximize planning and efficiency on this front. Benefits include a 401k retirement plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
English required. Spanish a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a detailed cover letter that captures why this position is a great match for your skills and interests, along with your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Your application will not be considered without a customized cover letter.