11100 Wildlife Center Drive
Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 51 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, etc. Our mission is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. Our programs focus on conserving wildlife, restoring habitat and waterways, growing outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change. We are seeking a Community Wildlife Coordinator to join our team in Reston, VA.
In this role you will work to meet the goals of the Education Department's Community Wildlife Team by implementing community-based programs and campaigns that help build and connect wildlife habitat in communities while connecting people to nature and wildlife, especially those living in vulnerable communities or those that lack access to nature. You will work with the Senior Director of Community Wildlife, the Community Wildlife and Garden for Wildlife Teams, NWF State Affiliates and others, to grow the Community Wildlife Habitat program, the Mayors’ Monarch Pledge and the Trees for Wildlife program. The Coordinator will support community-based partners by managing online systems, fundraising and representing NWF at local community events. You will have significant opportunities for professional development and growth.
In this role you will:
- Support the overall success of our programs and the creation of new urban wildlife initiatives that align with NWF’s strategic plan and NWF Garden for Wildlife efforts.
- Run the online platform for the NWF Community Wildlife Habitat program by effectively communicating with team leaders, generating content for the resource center, writing blogs and working to support the overall success of the platform.
- Support the growth of the Mayors’ Monarch Pledge by improving systems, updating the website, conducting outreach to municipal staff.
- Recruiting and onboarding communities and municipalities to NWF’s programs through email and phone outreach, in-person contacts and leading orientation sessions.
- Researching and writing best practice summaries and case studies for urban wildlife conservation.
- Write and update blogs, PowerPoint presentations and fact sheet content for Community Wildlife programs.
- Support fundraising efforts through online research and proposal writing.
- Bachelor's degree, with preferred studies in Conservation Ecology, Natural Resources, Sustainability, Urban Planning or related field, but not required.
- Two years of related experience.
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills.
- Proven experience with MS Office software and experience with GIS mapping software is helpful.
- A track record of leading day to day program operations with a high-level of integrity, responsiveness, and attention to detail.
There will be travel in this role, approx. 6-8 times a year for community events or conference presentations.
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus.
We aspire to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, and religious and political belief. Diversity at the National Wildlife Federation translates into understanding and valuing each other's perspectives.
The National Wildlife Federation offers excellent benefits, competitive compensation, and a family-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a complementary team and strongly support candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we support your application. If selected, a background check will be conducted.
If you are interested you should submit both a cover letter and resume.
Minimum Education Required