1304 Commonwealth Avenue
Full-Time: Must be available 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, though schedules vary day to day; evening shifts required June - November, weekend hours rarely. Minimum 36 hours worked per week.
ABOUT LOVIN’ SPOONFULS
Lovin’ Spoonfuls is an organization that facilitates the recovery and distribution of healthy, perishable food that would otherwise be discarded. Lovin’ Spoonfuls works efficiently to deliver this food directly to the community organizations and resources where it can have the greatest impact. Lovin’ Spoonfuls is committed to addressing the health, environmental and economic impact that food waste has on our community. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Lovin’ Spoonfuls is a 501c3, non-profit organization.
The Food Rescue Coordinator is responsible for collecting, inspecting, loading and delivering perishable and nonperishable product from vendors and delivering the food to Lovin’ Spoonfuls beneficiaries. The Food Rescue Coordinator is responsible for maintaining positive relationships with vendors, beneficiaries, and the community as a whole. The Food Rescue Coordinator is the face of our organization, and as such must be passionate about and committed to our mission.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collects prepared, perishable and other rescued foods from retail stores, farms, and wholesale partners; informs supervisor of any problems or issues in a timely manner.
- Inspects the product to be donated following food safety guidelines and refuses donations if the product doesn’t meet stated criteria.
- Delivers food to non-profit beneficiaries; informs supervisor of any problems or issues in a timely manner.
- Collects and delivers all product following all state and federal food safety handling guidelines.
- Accurately records all collections and distributions in our inventory system. Also records any and all information pertinent to food rescue operations.
- Completes and submits weekly report in a timely manner.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with vendors and beneficiaries; maintains positive relationships with all Lovin’ Spoonfuls staff.
- Contacts key staff at vendor/beneficiary locations to ensure smooth pick-up and delivery of donations or to communicate any delays or issues that may arise.
- Meets weekly with Operations Manager to provide updates and review any issues.
- Participates in all staff meetings.
- Communicates clearly and effectively in all oral and written communications.
- Responds to any/all outreach from management/office staff in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of customer service. Demonstrates a clear understanding of our vendors and beneficiaries by responding to their needs in a timely manner or informing the Operations Manager if they are unable to do so.
- Follows all DOT and company regulations as they relate to company vehicles and general safety.
- Maintains a clean and orderly vehicle cab and cargo area.
- Practices safe and lawful driving at all times. Follows legal parking procedures as outlined by the organization.
Knowledge and skills needed:
- Food Handling experience preferred
- Effective customer service skills
- Ability to learn computerized data input technology
- Ability and desire to relate to and work with various age, economic, racial and ethnic groups of individuals.
Special abilities required:
- Ability to adapt to varied work requirements
- Ability to work cooperatively with other staff and volunteers
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with diversity
- Ability to both speak and write English
Formal education or special training required:
- High School graduate
- Valid Massachusetts Class D drivers license with at least 5 years experience preferred
- Possess or ability to obtain current DOT physical card per state and federal regulations
- Acceptable motor vehicle report (MVR) with no accidents in the past 3 years
- Ability to obtain a safe food handling license (ServSafe)
- Previous customer service and/or grocery retail experience
Physical abilities required:
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, use hands, reach, climb stairs, stoop, kneel, climb in and out of a dock-high vehicle, talk and hear clearly.
- Ability to perform moderate to heavy physical labor (lift or maneuver up to 60 lbs.)
- Ability to work in refrigerated areas (cooler and freezer) for periods of time
- Ability to navigate the Boston metro area and/or use a GPS
Health & Dental Insurance
Commuter Expense Reimbursement
Mobile Phone Reimbursement
Paid Holidays & Vacation Time
Short Term & Long Term Disability
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please review position description below. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter via https://lovinspoonfulsinc.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=22. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.