475 Riverside Drive
POSITION: Shelter Case Manager - Lutheran Safe Haven Shelter and Foster Care Program
REPORTS TO: Clinician
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time
The Lutheran Safe Haven Shelter and Short-Term Foster Care Program is a 24-hour program that serves young persons in immigration custody who are awaiting release to their sponsors. The Safe Haven Case Manager provides oversight and support to these young persons. Major responsibilities of the Shelter Case Manager are to identify appropriate parents or guardians to whom the young persons may be released, and to identify any concerns found with potential sponsors with the Federal Field Specialist. The Shelter Case Manager is also responsible for ensuring that the young person in shelter care is receiving essential services such as: medical, mental health, and dental care; basic education; orientation; and legal screening.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Assess the needs of and provide support and case management services to all young persons in program.
· Ensure that individual service plans are implemented for all children in care, in accordance with all applicable regulations and LSSNY policies.
· Screen for human trafficking concerns.
· Document the provision of services in each unaccompanied minor’s case file.
· Arrange for medical services, health screening, and mental health assessment of young persons.
· Help young persons identify and screen prospective sponsors.
· Assist potential sponsors with completion of family reunification packets and refer them to fingerprinting.
· Monitor and supervise young persons at all times.
· Guide young person in demonstrating positive behavior, including participating in proper maintenance of the home, performance of chores, helping with shopping, meal preparation, and other household routines.
· Provide young persons with guidance on activities of daily living, including good personal hygiene.
· Arrange and accompany young adults and children to appointments and recreational activities as needed.
· Record in full detail all pertinent information in applicable databases and logs and record all movements in the database and/or unit log.
· Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations, including but not limited to HIPAA.
· Adhere to program guidelines and schedules.
· Enforce all safety rules and regulations in accordance with agency policies and procedures, and ensure that young persons comply with established house rules.
· Document and report all major and minor incidents in accordance with agency policies and procedures.
· Ensure that unit keys remain in the possession of shelter staff members only.
· Provide a stable, abuse- and drug-free environment.
· Pick up young persons from airport or other transportation hubs as necessary and bring them to shelter.
· Facilitate the timely release or discharge of the unaccompanied minor when the time arrives.
· Other duties as required by direct supervisor or needs of the program/agency.
· Child care workers
· Young persons in daily scheduled programs and activities
· Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, or Counseling, with particular focus on child and adolescent development; or
· Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (i.e. Criminal Justice, Human Services) with a minor (at least 16 credits) in Social Work, Psychology, or Counseling with particular focus on child and adolescent development;
· Master’s Degree in any of the above fields preferred.
· Experience working with immigrant youth or child welfare services preferred.
· Some knowledge of nutrition.
· Knowledge of appropriate ACS/State regulations in disciplinary actions.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
· Strong communication and writing skills.
· Ability to work collaboratively with consumers and co-workers.
· Knowledgeable about working with immigrant youth.
· Superior organizational skills and an ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Ability to exercise enormous amount of patience and good judgment.
· Knowledgeable about ACS/OCFS regulations governing disciplinary actions.
· Experience and facility working with Microsoft Office Applications.
· Ability to manage time effectively, multi-task, and determine priorities.
· Ability to work flexible hours as needed.
· CPR-Certified a plus.
· Driver’s License.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please click on this link to complete the application for the Case Manager position.