Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
Transition House’s mission is to end domestic violence in our community. For over 40 years, Transition House has worked throughout Cambridge to create a culture where breaking the cycle of violence is an ongoing priority and where people affected by domestic violence can live in safety, access housing, resources and the holistic support they need to thrive. Transition House is now expanding its capacity to prevent and support those who experience domestic violence and abuse in later life. The Elder Advocate will be responsible for direct service and support to elders age 60+ while also working with partners in the community to increase outreach and education about Elder Abuse. This new position is part of the Community Support Partnership, a collaboration of the City of Cambridge, the Cambridge Housing Authority and Transition House. The Elder Advocate will report to the Director of the Community Support Partnership.
- Provide excellent trauma-informed response, advocacy and support for victims of elder abuse in Cambridge.
- Provide crisis intervention services and safety planning to elders.
- Guide victims of elder abuse through the criminal justice process; accompany them to court proceedings as needed.
- Assist elders seeking advocacy and assistance with agencies such as the Cambridge Housing Authority in applying for emergency housing and other housing related issues related to domestic violence and elder abuse.
- Develop a network of resources and collaborators that are trained to address Elder Abuse.
- Work in collaboration with Protective Services, Cambridge Police Department, Somerville-Cambridge Elder Services, the Cambridge Council on Aging and other community partners in planning wrap-around support for victims of Elder Abuse.
- Consult providers around elder abuse including creative problem solving and appropriate intervention, while empowering senior individuals to make decisions on their own behalf in a variety of settings and cultural groups.
- Attend community meetings related to elders and elder abuse including the Cambridge Elder Abuse Coalition
- In collaboration with other Transition House staff, train community organizations and providers on detecting elder abuse and assisting victims of domestic violence in later life.
- Develop a training program and a plan to address related issues such as bullying in the community, with a special focus of combating bullying in elder housing and facilities that serve elders.
● A minimum of two years of experience working with elders.
● Ability to navigate complex family dynamics
● Ability to communicate effectively and creatively with elders.
● Expertise providing trauma-informed advocacy and motivational support for elders.
● High level of comfort working within a diverse and multicultural environment.
● Experience with extremely marginalized people including individuals who are mentally ill, substance abusing or victims of domestic violence is strongly preferred.
● Proven leadership skills and self-motivation.
● Ability to develop and sustain strong collaborations with colleagues from multiple external community organizations.
● Must be extremely well organized, punctual and skilled at time management.
● Superior written and oral communication skills in English.
● Knowledge of other language/s a plus.
● High level of proficiency with the Internet and Microsoft Office Suite.
● Able to climb stairs frequently, bend and lift items up to 30 pounds.
● Master's degree in a human services field preferred.
● CORI check required.
Please email cover letter, resume (.doc or .pdf only) to: email@example.com
Transition House values diverse life experience and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Bilingual/bicultural applicants, persons of color, people with disabilities and GLBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Key words: Case Manager, Case Management, Senior Services, Domestic Violence, DV, Advocate, Mental Health, Social Services, Social Work, Care Coordinator, Social Worker, Elder, Senior Care, Geriatric Care, Human Services, LCSW, LICSW, BSW
Transition House offers generous paid time off; life and disability insurance; health and dental benefits; and a 401K plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
English fluency is required. Bi-lingual/bicultural applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email cover letter and resume (.doc or .pdf only) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.