Details: This is a 20-25 hour a week part-time position and pay is commensurate with experience.
The Bay Area Urban Debate Commission (BAUDC) seeks to hire an energetic, dedicated part-time staff member experienced in policy debate to help expand the impact of its programs for Bay Area youth. The position offers an opportunity to build skills and make a difference in education, community development, and non-profit administration.
The BAUDL is a nonprofit organization that uses the excitement of competitive academic debate to help young people build strong voices to succeed in college and in the world. The Program Coordinator would play an essential role in the daily and long-term operations of the organization, joining a dynamic team including four other full-time staff, an army of committed volunteers and interns, and an engaged board. Specific tasks may include:
General Program (90%)
- Coordinate & assist coaches and students in recruiting at assigned schools
- Build strong relationships with students to improve retention. Reach out to students via social media, text messaging, and phone calls in advance of BAUDL events.
- Promote and distribute BAUDL incentives for students and teams.
- Help coordinate curriculum development for afterschool practices and weekend workshops.
- Play a substantial role in running tournaments and workshops.
- Give coaches curriculum support and encouragement; work with them to identify topics for professional development
- Visit each campus at least 2 times per month.
- Provide assigned teams with debate supplies and snacks.
- Attend a minimum of two Middle School program debate tournaments
Fundraising & Development (10%)
- Help with BAUDL events (including recruitment, fundraising, and public debates) as needed; represent BAUDL at events hosted by other organizations.
- Thank donors, manage a group of institutional relationships, and help to cultivate them as lifelong supporters of BAUDL and Bay youth
- Attend weekly all staff meeting, Tuesday at 1030AM
- Serve as a member of an Advisory Council committee (Program)
- Assist with data entry for Salesforce, event attendance, transportation sign-out, and other functions
- Participate actively in weekly staff meetings and bimonthly Staff Professional Development workshops
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- 1+ year of competitive policy debate experience.
- A very strong work ethic, supported by commitment and follow-through; an enthusiasm for working with a small, dedicated team of staff to make a difference; a reputation for the highest ethical standards.
- Superior written and oral skills; the ability to understand and convey with clarity, crispness, and elegance the mission of the BAUDL to a wide variety of audiences.
- Preference strong organizing skills
- A drive and the patience to work with students from a diverse background.
Preferable Job Qualifications:
- BAUDL Alumni
- Access to reliable transportation (car preferred).
- Debate coaching experience.
- Spanish speaking
- Familiarity with local landscape of schools and community organizations.
- Experience working with urban youth.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Responsibilities will begin no later than August 29, 2018. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, but any application received after July 23rd,2018 will not be considered, so please send materials and cover letter as soon as possible. Interested candidates should send resume, cover letter, and three references to Mya Whitaker- email@example.com Please include “BAUDL Regional Coordinator Application” in the subject line.
The Bay Area Urban Debate League provides employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender, sex, ancestry, genetic information, or medical condition.