Child Relief International Foundation
Executive Director, Child Relief International Foundation
LOCATION: Boston, MA
SALARY: Competitive for the industry and location, commensurate with experience.
Child Relief International Foundation (CRI) is a small-staff family foundation dedicated to improving health systems and/or providing healthcare in Sub-Saharan Africa by allocating grants to exceptional NGOs.
CRI has made a name for itself in the philanthropy space by bringing rigorous analysis to potential NGO partners, and setting extraordinarily high expectations for performance and critical thinking. To that end, our funding strategy consists of more than up-front due diligence and check writing. We create deep partnerships with our grantees, providing extensive non-monetary support as well. We believe we can leverage our investments in NGOs by embedding ourselves as connection-makers, informal strategy consultants, communications editors, analysts, committee members, and otherwise.
Our ideal NGO partner is early stage, nimble, and driven. Their model should be cost effective, and have a clear path to scale.
We’ve taken to describing the outputs of our partners as exhibiting “outsized impact.” And we believe in the power of creating a web of symbiotic relationships.
Although we’ve had great success thus far, we have continued to grow, and are at a flexion point. We’ve out-grown our existing systems, and need to institutionalize policies, guidelines, and procedures. We are looking for the right person to take the helm.
The Executive Director is expected to:
- Oversee the day-to-day management of the administrative, financial, and operational aspects of the program
- Formalize the processes, guidelines, and procedures that comprise the backbone of CRI
- Oversee the grant process, including the due diligence stage, on-boarding grantee, managing grants, and maintaining relationships
- Bolster the performance of grantees by providing non-monetary support, and effectively harnessing our network
- Provide technical and strategic support
- Hire one or more staff in the near future to further support CRI’s work
- Foster effective partnerships with foundations; build relationships with members of external review committees, awardee organizations, and other stakeholders
- Track milestones and progress on awarded project implementation; develop appropriate course adjustments and program modifications
- Work with grantee organizations to create support structures to enable effective evidence collection, provide learning opportunities, and maximize probability of project success
- Travel both domestically and internationally as necessary, including but not limited to 2 or more trips to Sub-Saharan Africa per year.
The ideal candidate has:
- A passion for improving the lives of the poor in developing countries
- 8+ years of relevant work experience, including but not limited to experience in a top-level management position with substantial experience developing and managing complex programs
- Deep first-hand knowledge of developing societies, with expertise in rigorous impact evaluation and cost-effectiveness analysis
- Demonstrated experience in strategic, financial and operational management
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills; ability to collect and analyze data to inform strategic thinking, planning and recommendations
- Advanced management, communication, writing, and interpersonal skills
- Proven track record of leading teams and organizations to success
- Experience evaluating projects/proposals for funding and/or investment opportunities, and a strong drive for results, rigor and evidence
- Comfort with and willingness to work to build processes from scratch, set and execute organizational strategy
- Demonstrated ability to effectively coordinate with government partners, and cultivate relationships with young organizations
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally
- An understanding of the difference between being right, and getting it right. We only care about the later.
- A start-up attitude: an excitement for rolling up your sleeves and working hard. As we build up the office, no task is below your pay grade. You will not have the luxury to delegate tasks.
- A deep familiarity with Sub-Saharan Africa, including the NGO and start-up communities.
How to apply
If interested in being considered for this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to Kara Weiss (email@example.com). Please be prepared to provide 3 references who can speak to your work performance. Feel free to visit us at our website, www.crifoundation.org