Academy of Hope Adult PCS
The mission of Academy of Hope is to provide high quality adult basic education in a manner that changes lives and improves our community.
Academy of Hope is a non-profit that helps hundreds of DC residents to obtain their high school diploma or GED (General Education Diploma) and thousands more improve their basic reading, writing and math skills. We serve more than 800 individuals a year in our Adult Basic Education, GED, External Diploma, college/career readiness and computer training programs. Academy of Hope also offers a fast-track program for youth 16-21. Academy of Hope offers flexible schedules, providing classes in the mornings and evenings. The following are examples of how our work changes lives:
- Most of our adult learners enter at a reading level below 8th grade. They study upwards of 500 hours in order to pass the GED exam
- 77% of our graduates have enrolled in college, certificate program or vocational training
- The percentage of our learners on public assistance dropped 85% after they received high-school credentials
- 33% of our learners read to their children more often
- More than 500 of our learners have passed the GED!
Currently, Academy of Hope operates in two sites: the main site is located in the N.E. quadrant of Washington, DC (Ward 5); the other site is located in the high-need areas of DC (Ward 8).
For 28 years, Academy of Hope has been "a school in which the main subject for everyone, teachers and students alike, is not reading, writing or math, but hope."
"The Hope" is always looking for volunteer teachers, tutors, writers and social media experts. Our volunteers are the heart and backbone of the work that we do. Contact email@example.com or call 202-269--6623 ext. 125 if you are interested in becoming a volunteer. All are welcome!
Find out more about Academy of Hope and how to support us at www.aohdc.org
Front Desk Assistant (Job)