Virginians Organized for Interfaith Community Engagement
V.O.I.C.E. is a broad-based multi-racial, multi-faith, multi-issue, multi-county, strictly non-partisan citizens' organization dedicated to making change on community issues (affordable housing, healthcare, immigration, youth & senior investment, etc.) affecting the lives of low-income, working class, and middle income residents in 4 Northern Virginia jurisdictions: Prince William, Fairfax, and Arlington counties as well as the City of Alexandria. VOICE is affiliated with the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF), the oldest and largest broad-based citizens' organizing network in the United States. VOICE Signature Organizing Victories include:
- Held the CEO’s from Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, and General Electric accountable for the foreclosure crisis in Prince William County, VA--resulting in $250 million in principal reduction, 1,500+ loan modifications, and $30 million in reinvestment capital that kept thousands of families from losing their homes and is rebuilding blighted communities;
- Secured $3 million to renovate local parks and athletic facilities for low-income African-American and immigrant residents in Southern Fairfax County, VA;
- Won $10 million to expand pre-kindergarten to serve 576 low-income children in Prince William County, VA—the first majority-minority county in Virginia;
- Organized low-income tenants to preserve 1,000+ affordable apartments and public housing units from upscale development in Alexandria, Arlington, and Fairfax Counties, to address housing and fire code violations improving 2,000+ units in Fairfax, Prince William, and Alexandria, and to win 1,000+ new affordable housing units on public and non-profit owned land in Northern Virginia.
- Won $800,000 to provide dental care to over 2,000 low-income adults in Northern Virginia and preserved $9 million in state funding for dental care for low-families statewide.
- Trained and organized immigrant leaders to win on local housing, recreation, youth investment and immigration issues as well as to be a voice on national comprehensive and accountable immigration reform.
- Developed major power base in and multi-faith institutional coalition and relationships to support Muslims from anti-hate and anti-immigrant attacks.
- Organized $200,000+ in member dues each year (2008-2016) from 45 member institutions to support VOICE’s Northern Virginia organizing and to insure its non-partisan, political independence.