San Diego LGBT Pride
- San Diego
We are a nonprofit community enhancement organization
Founding Purpose and Objectives
The specific purpose of this corporation is to produce civic, cultural and educational programs, which support and encourage pride within San Diego's lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities.
Formed in 1974, as a sponsored program of The Center for Social Services, we produced the first Lesbian and Gay Parade in San Diego to celebrate the 1969 Stonewall Rebellion on New York's Christopher Street. The 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization incorporated in 1994 and today San Diego Pride continues to bring together the skills, talents and vision of our diverse community through numerous programs.
San Diego Pride's funding comes mainly from Pride Festival fees, beverage and admission charges, corporate sponsorship and parade entry fees. San Diego Pride has a long history of community philanthropy. The organization has a five-prong approach to giving to the community which includes support of the LGBT Center, grant funding, direct community support, support of other prides and community partnerships. San Diego Pride has given more than $1.3 million to a wide variety of LGBT organizations as it continues to foster pride and respect for all LGBT co locally and globally.
San Diego Pride represents the interest of the San Diego LGBT community as a member and supporter of the Greater San Diego Business Association, Consolidated Associations of Pride, Inc. (CAPI), the International Association of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Pride Coordinators (InterPride), the International Festival and Events Association, the International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA), the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the American Civil Liberties Union, and the Human Rights Commission.
Programs of San Diego Pride
For 35 years, San Diego Pride has been a tireless advocate for equality and diversity. Two core programs, the annual parade and festival have grown from a small grass roots march for equal rights, into the largest human rights events in San Diego County. San Diego Pride's programs focus on activism and awareness, community services, youth, our environment and HIV/AIDS supportive services.
Activism and Awareness Programs
- San Diego Pride Parade: A parade that has become the largest equal right celebration in San Diego, that calls out loud and proud to all people still living in the closet that it is safe to come out and that we are here waiting for you with open arms!
- Rainbow Flag Raising: efforts encourage businesses and corporations countywide to fly the Pride Flag for the whole month of July.
- Pride Festival: An inclusive and diverse celebration of the community that exemplifies our mission, vision, and values.The festival is the venue where a number of other programs come to life including the following:
- Partnerships including The Leather Realm, Get Tested Pavilion, Health Pavilion, Coffee Terrace, Art of Pride, Pride Green, Bisexual Forum, Transgender Space, Lambda Archives
- A lesbian health tent, providing education, prevention, and outreach for women's health issues,
- A Family Fun Zone for the children and parents of our community,
- A private, anonymous area at the festival where sobriety is celebrated with back-to-back meetings,
- The Senior Cool Zone is a place for 55+ to relax and enjoy friendship of others
- Farmer's Market, Carnival Games
- The Art of Pride exhibit, which showcases the talents of the LGBT artists in our community,
Community Services Programs
- Grant Funding: San Diego Pride has established grant-funding vehicles with the Foundation for Change and the Human Dignity Foundation that directly affect the LGBT communities in San Diego. $412,940 has been distributed through the Pride Funds to dozens of organizations.
- Direct Community Support: San Diego Pride directly supports community organizations by purchasing tickets, making charitable contributions, and sponsoring various events.
- Support of the San Diego LGBT Community Center: San Diego Pride acknowledges the importance of The Center to the entire LGBT community and remains committed to supporting its ongoing efforts.Over $614,451 has been distributed directly to the Center.
- Partnerships: San Diego Pride creates partnerships with community organizations enabling them to raise funds in exchange for their involvement in Pride events.
- Youth Pride: Creating safe and affirming opportunities for youth. Pride's Youth Organizer coordinates youth participation in all Pride programs.
- Youth Housing Project: A fund allocating money to support the Center's Youth Housing Project, which provides shelter and assistance to LGBT youth.
Pride Green -Environmental Impact programs
Reducing the environmental impact of San Diego Pride programs on Balboa Park and the community.
- Reforestation Program: Planting new trees in Balboa Park to provide a lush green park area for future generations.
- Recycling Program: In 2008 San Diego Pride recycled more than six tons of material and in 2009 this effort resulted in 8 tons of recyclables being diverted from the landfill.
- Free Shuttle Service: Encouraging event participants to reduce the amount of carbon emissions, the organization coordinates shuttle service from park-n-ride lots.
- Bike Valet: In an effort to take automobiles off the road, event attendees are encouraged to ride a bike and take advantage of free guarded bike parking.
HIV / AIDS Awareness
- Outreach: "Get Tested" campaign in June encouraging individuals to visit participating providers and get tested.
- Support:Providing free and confidential HIV testing at the festival as well as outreach and support for HIV/AIDS service organizations.
Do you work for San Diego LGBT Pride? Become an administrator