Hours per week
We're looking for full-time fellows this summer, but if you want to do side research or projects with us remotely, we're open to discussing volunteer engagements.
Want to join an education startup and learn more about design thinking, youth development, and non-profit management? Dent Education is excited to recruit young change-makers for an unpaid, high-impact Social Innovation Fellowship to support an entrepreneurial leadership program (“Bet on Baltimore”) for high school students. Bet on Baltimore is a full-time, 5-week summer program that empowers students to become creative problem solvers through project-based learning experiences.
What does this program look like? See for yourself.
About Dent Education
Every human has the capacity to be a creative problem solver. However, our standardized tests and compliance-based education culture often deprive students the opportunity to create, discover, and innovate. So how do we get students to realize their ability to create change? Push them to actually do it.
In our program, students step outside the classroom to engage in their communities, identify needs, and leverage design thinking, making, and entrepreneurship to build real solutions and launch ventures. This is not a thought exercise or glorified brainstorm – we push students outside their comfort zones to prototype, test, and iterate on ideas.
Our goal is to spread opportunity and revitalize education by empowering students to see themselves as innovators. Through the process of empathizing with others, collaborating in teams, and learning from failure, students will realize their capacity to “make a dent in the universe”.
Social Innovation Fellows will support every aspect of our organization, but their primary responsibility will be the success of a cohort of 10-12 high school students in the Bet on Baltimore program. As such, we are targeting hard-working individuals eager to build relationships with Baltimore city students.
- Passionate about our mission, unwavering in your belief in each student’s potential, and relentlessly committed to student success
- Entrepreneurial self-starters who are ready to roll up your sleeves and dive in, wherever needed
- Comfortable with ambiguity and resilient in the face of adversity
- Proactive, organized, and responsible
Guide students to success
- Build relationships and trust with students
- Coach and mentor students on how to bring their ideas to life (we’ll train you on the curriculum)
- Create a culture of empathy, respect, bias towards action, and creativity
- Set aspirational goals for your cohort and motivate them to participate fully
- Spread love, positivity, inspiration, and joy
Support your program site
- Assist Dent Education Coaches (two per site) in teaching the curriculum, supporting student teams, and creating a transformational learning experience
- Build and maintain relationships with key partners (YouthWorks, Family League, our site host, and local mentors and volunteers)
- Troubleshoot and solve any problems that arise (logistics, food, transportation, etc.)
- Communicate daily with the Dent Education team to share learnings, insights, and needs as you co-create this program with us!
- Own it, make it work, and improve it
- To transform student lives by helping them realize their dreams
- To develop and grow as an educator, design thinker, innovator, and entrepreneur
- To join and shape a mission-driven startup with a team of motivated educators and innovators
- To join a network of Baltimore’s most talented and passionate entrepreneurs (we have a great summer line-up of guest speakers and mentors)
- To work directly and build a close relationship with the company’s co-founders (bios below)
Rajan Patel, Co-Founder and CEO
Rajan is an avid maker who believes we can build things to help others. He co-invented the Embrace incubator, a product of empathy-driven design that has impacted and saved the lives of over 250,000 babies across the developing world. He trained at Stanford's d.school to become a teacher of design thinking and has organized and led over 20 programs of his own across six countries. Rajan holds a BS in Biomechanical Engineering from Stanford, an MBA from Stanford, and an MPA from Harvard.
Jackie Bello, Co-Founder and COO
Jackie is a lifelong educator passionate about empowering others to achieve their dreams. She was named an "Outstanding Teacher of the Year" by Baltimore City Public Schools and has taught at the high school, college, and professional level. Outside the classroom, she has advised and led both private and public sector organizations on strategic initiatives to improve student outcomes. Jackie holds an AB from Princeton University, an MAT from Johns Hopkins University, and an MBA/M.Ed from Stanford University.
How To Apply
Please send your resume (or LinkedIn profile), and briefly tell us about yourself and why you’re interested (no need for a cover letter – just an informal paragraph or two in the email is fine). Please also specify if you have a preference for Session 1 or 2 (or any relevant scheduling conflicts).
Please e-mail these materials to email@example.com by May 31, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply early. We will inform you within a week if you are selected for an interview.
Dent Education is an equal opportunity employer and seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position. If you would like to learn more about our mission, please visit our website at www.denteducation.org.