Details: Salary varies based on work schedule and experience. Since the role is available at full-time or less than full-time.
District of Columbia
// WHAT WE DO
Values Added Financial helps people build thoughtful, prosperous financial lives. Many professionals in our industry encourage their clients to stockpile money. We take a radically different approach, offering excellent technical advice while also helping clients focus on maximizing the things that bring their lives meaning: family, community, fulfilling work, being of service, non-work interests, and often spiritual/religious life. We primarily work with progressives and have deep expertise on issues our clients tend to care about, such as ethical investment, social impact, and charitable giving. We are a fee-only, fiduciary, tax-informed, comprehensive planning firm. Our goal is to do whatever we can to help our clients thrive, stop worrying about money, and build fulfilling lives that make a difference.
// RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS ROLE
- Serving clients by using financial planning and other tools to enhance their lives.
- Working with clients—preparing for meetings and being responsible for all follow-up.
- Attending client meetings and assisting in preparing and implementing financial- and tax-planning recommendations.
- If you have tax- and investment-planning experience then we will anticipate that you will soon lead client relationships fairly independently. If you are more junior, we will teach you the financial-planning skills you will need to know in order to deliver the comprehensive expertise and service our clients expect from us.
- As an FP or AFP we hope that, within six months, you’ll be leading meetings and within a year you’ll be leading client relationships more generally. At either level, you’ll be a teacher, analyst, coach, supporter, problem-solver, organizer, and supporter.
- Since we are a growing firm, there are many opportunities available to build new functions, improve existing ones, and tackle projects that match your interests and skills.
- You must be able to deliver an excellent experience for clients. That’s the foundation of our work at Values Added Financial.
- Top-notch listening and relationship-management skills
- You can demonstrate this in a wide variety of ways. For example, success in client service, organizing, or other people-oriented roles is a plus.
- Familiarity with progressive justice issues (economic, social, feminist, anti-racist, LGBTQ+, environmental, etc.) is strongly preferred.
- Expertise (or ability to learn quickly) in Microsoft Office and Google Suite is critical.
- If you have other useful technology skills, let us know.
- Bachelor's degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated quantitative/analytical skills are a plus.
- Series 65 and/or progress toward CFP® is a bonus.
- We expect that you will get a CFP® designation at some point if you haven’t already.
// WHO ISN’T A GOOD FIT
This is a young, growing company. If you need a whole lot of external motivation and strict systems, this is not the place for you. If you don’t enjoy a combination of team and independent work settings, this is not the right fit. Ari and Zach are seriously engaged in progressive issue and political work--it’s important to us and many of our clients. If that’s not a plus for you, you’d probably be happier in a more conventional firm.
As a small firm, we know that the time to build a diverse team is now. Given that, we strongly encourage women, people of color, and all members of other historically disadvantaged groups to apply. Having a diverse team is important to us and to the firm’s success.
// WHO WILL LOVE IT
The people who make up the Values Added team are warm, curious, genuine, supportive, communicative, committed to ongoing growth (personally and professionally), and have a deep desire to be of service in our work and in our communities.
This could be a good fit if you:
- Love helping people,
- thrive when receiving and giving feedback
- enjoy using interpersonal and technical skills, and
- feel most fulfilled when growing professionally.
Are you the kind of person whose colleagues ask them for advice on the retirement plan? That’s a good sign!
The technical work of financial planning is a bit like a really complex, high-stakes board game. If you find the challenge of figuring out the best strategy fun, that’s a good sign. If you like crushing people ruthlessly once you do, that’s not a great sign.
You might be coming from a more conventional job in financial services or you might be coming from public service (as Ari and Zach did). We built this firm to create the work life balance we craved--creating intellectually stimulating work we find meaningful and helping people in big ways while also having time to bake bread, play frisbee, and be equal partners and caregivers. Whatever your passions, we hope this role provides an opportunity for you to work hard and also be able to make dinner/attend a parent teacher conference/take your dog to agility classes/pursue your passions. It’s a flexible, rewarding job. Wherever you are coming from, we’re glad you are here.
It is essential for anyone joining the team to be able to participate in several meetings per week in our office in Petworth (DC). Team members could work remotely several days per week.
The main benefit is that it's a really meaningful job with a lot of room to grow and learn in a supportive environment.
We are flexible in the time commitment we expect from this role--it could be part-time or full-time. The compensation ranges widely. It is based on how many client relationships you lead and whether you attract new clients to the firm. We will discuss this in more in depth during interview process.
We anticipate that the range for an associate or senior associate is roughly $40,000 to $100,000+ annually. You could thrive without ever bringing in new clients, but it’s also great if you enjoy spreading the word about our work. We can discuss benefits or different compensation arrangements during the interview. We're happy to be flexible for the right person.
We can discuss benefits specifics or different compensation arrangements during the interview. We're happy to be flexible for the right person.
Level of Language Proficiency
English fluency (including excellent written and in-person communication) is required due to business needs. Any additional languages would be beneficial.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you are interested in a role, we’d love to hear from you! We’ll start reviewing materials on 11/15 so get us something before then. Send a resume, link to your LinkedIn profile, and any other materials you think would help to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, as formally or informally as you like, let us know:
- Why would you like to work at Values Added Financial?
- How’d you hear about us?
- What’s one thing you loved about a prior job? Hated?
- What’s your timeline?
- What should we know about you?
We’ll respond to everyone who has sent in an application shortly after 11/15. After that, we’ll continue to accept resumes and other expressions of interest so feel free to drop us a line.