About our Engineering Team
The BetterLesson Engineering Team is composed of highly skilled software developers, visionary UI designers, and experienced project managers that together form a world-class software development team. Our small team is committed to anti-racist practices and we infuse these values into every piece of software we create.
The platform we have built is used to deliver some of the best culturally responsive teaching and learning content, amongst many amazing student-centered strategies. We have created an environment where our coaches thrive during their collaboration with our teachers, and our teachers are just as delighted to engage in their professional development with us.
As a member of this team, your technical contributions will have an immediate impact on the mission of the company and the professional growth of teachers across the country.
You will focus on three (3) main functional areas:
- Implementing back-end and front-end code that supports product development.
- Planning the implementation of product features and functionality.
- Establishing lasting practices for the future of product development.
- An accomplished software engineer with great interpersonal skills.
- An efficient collaborator and communicator.
- An organizer and planner of your own technical tasks, managing time to complete tasks on schedule.
- Develop back-end services within our Flask (Python / WSGI-based) web framework.
- Query data and update our MYSQL database schema to support new products and features.
- Maintain a high standard for clarity and readability of code.
- Engage in projects that include:
- building robust scheduling interfaces for our coaches and teachers.
- continually enhancing our virtual events experience, based on our UI/UX research.
- creating amazing onboarding for our growing coaching team.
- Experience working in a high-growth environment.
- Formal Computer Science training, through either:
- a college degree in Computer Science or an equivalent degree,
- a combination of coding bootcamp graduation and 2+ years of training on the job, or
- 3+ years of training on the job.
- Experience building back-end applications using conventional patterns, such as Model View Controller (MVC) and Microservices (Queue, AWS Lambda).