Calle Colombia y Calle 44 Este
You relate well to others and are a good listener. You help guide people to positivity and advocate for physical and mental wellbeing. You can motivate a group of people and create spaces of diversity and inclusivity. You are systems minded but also can go with the flow. You will help students acclimate to community living, take collective ownership of their space and feel empowered to make their own decisions all the while respecting other students, staff, surrounding communities, and the environment they live in. You will foster the culture of Kalu Yala through interactions and activities from art nights to open mic in order to help entertain and create connections between staff and students. You will guide students to the proper resources and help them get their questions answered.
The Student Liaison works in collaboration with the other members of the Student Services team to enhance student experience while they are at the Kalu Yala Institute. In addition, this position is responsible for assisting in students transition into the valley from answering questions before their arrival, to scheduling airport pick ups and welcome week orientation. During the semester the liaison will be expected to create an activity for students every day after class ranging from an educational lecture, to soccer games and themed bar nights. You are expected to be a highly organized individual who will also be responsible for coordinating chores, tracking students signing in and out of the valley and keeping constant communication with directors and other staff about student transport and other needs. As the staff member closest to students you will conduct student wellness surveys every two weeks to gauge student wellness and address any issues with the appropriate point person.
- Spanish speaker
- Wilderness First Responder or other medical training
- CPR certified
- Manual vehicle/4x4 experience
- Flexible and resilient
- Experience living in community
- 2+ years working with college aged students
- Degree related to sociology, psychology, counseling, preferred but not required
- Have experience organizing events and motivating groups of people
- Strong planner who enjoys organization
- Group leadership skills and high social/emotional intelligence
- Comfortable and familiar with team communication and project management tools including Google Docs, Slack, and Asana.
- Desire to help fulfill the vision of Kalu Yala, expressed here: www.kaluyala.com
- Looking forward to living in a comfortable camp in Panama
Why Kalu Yala?
Kalu Yala is building a town. And we’ve started with an Institute.
Kalu Yala is a place to work, learn, grow, and live with a diverse team of sustainably-minded people working to achieving our common goal of demonstrating a better way to live. We do this through completion of our individual roles and expressing our creativity and unique style. We are a pro-active, professional, and team-first culture. Kalu Yala is not just about goals or technical skills; we represent a new way of thinking about companies, about towns, about the world. We are constantly encouraging our employees to use their varied experience in brainstorming solutions and apply those ideas to our specific setting. We are seeking employees that are excited to build new relationships and connect with others in Panama for our next semester which starts January 2019
- $500 per month
- Room + Board valued at $550 a month in our tropical wilderness camp
- 6 weeks paid vacation yearly, 2 weeks accrued semesterly after 3 month probationary period
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish speaker preferred but not required
Minimum Education Required