Details: PAY RATE $32/hr for leading tours (= $88 + tips for leading a 2 hour tour)
You'll be leading small groups of people on a fast-paced, spirited journey through the BEST encyclopedic museums on Earth -- We want guides who can share the juicy stories and fascinating histories of their selected art pieces in an engaging and succinct way. We want charismatic, outgoing, passionate, museum-loving people... with a touch of renegade flair.
We're actively seeking diverse candidates!
- Background in one or more of the following: Theater, Improv, Debate, Museum Studies, Teaching (if you were Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society), Making passionate speeches about nerdy subjects to your friends, Being Awesome, or Museum Education or Art History.
- Warm, friendly, eager, a "people person" with excellent communication skills but also attention to detail.
- Ability to think on your feet, be a self-starter, and develop your own content and tour route.
- Desire to help wide-eyed tourists and grizzled NYC residents experience art and museums in a very fun way.
- Must have flexible daytime availability (including weekends). We book private and corporate tours during the week, and VIP tours during the weekend.
- Must be able to stand for 3 hours, carry a heavy bag, and race through museum spaces at top speeds.
- Must be a New York City resident and be a U.S. citizen or have valid work authorization.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (Primary)
- American Museum of Natural History
- Rubin Museum
- Gulliver's Gate Miniature Museum
WHO SHOULD APPLY
If you're passionate about art, antiquities, and history, and if you’re great at storytelling and working a small crowd, then you definitely belong in our family of Museum Hackers.
This is not a full-time gig.
IMPORTANT: If you have a steady full-time 9-5 type job, or if you're absolutely never ever available on Friday or Saturday nights, please do not apply.
WHY WORK WITH MUSEUM HACK
- We're doing exciting things. See our company news page here.
- You’re going to get more responsibility and control working with us than you would at a bigger institution or museum.
- We’re a meritocracy and promote success, not tenure.
- Our tours are really f***ing fun.
Minimum Education Required