Reports to: Head of Finance (DMI UK)
Start date: December 2018 / January 2019
Term: Full time, permanent contract
Based in: London (N1)
Salary: £25-30k per annum, plus 5% pension contribution
Deadline for applications: 30 September 2018
Development Media International (DMI) delivers mass media campaigns aimed at changing behaviours, promoting health and saving lives in developing countries. We are the first organisation to scientifically demonstrate that mass media can increase life-saving behaviours. DMI recently completed a 5-year, £7m randomised controlled trial in West Africa which showed that 56% more children were taken for treatment for malaria, 73% more for diarrhoea and 39% more for pneumonia following exposure to our campaign. Economic modelling indicates that our approach is one of the most cost-effective ways of saving children’s lives.
DMI’s head office (DMI UK) is situated in East London, overlooking the Regent’s Canal. We have a permanent presence in Burkina Faso, Mozambique, and Tanzania and also currently operate in Mauritania, Mali, Côte d'Ivoire, Niger, and Chad. We are now expanding our operations in East and Southern Africa. We have two priorities: first, to continue to generate ground-breaking research (we are conducting another randomised control trial in Burkina Faso, this time to measure our impact on contraceptive uptake), second, to take these proven strategies to scale, saving as many lives as possible. We work across a range of health issues, including child survival, reproductive health, nutrition and hygiene, and early childhood development.
DMI works in close partnership with leading experts in health, including WHO, UNICEF and LSHTM and has been funded by some of the world’s most prestigious organisations including the Wellcome Trust, DFID, Comic Relief, the Global Innovation Fund and the Mulago Foundation.
We are an innovative and rapidly growing organisation, working at the nexus between science and creativity. Our intellectual rigour, enthusiasm and willingness to learn from both our successes and mistakes, makes us distinct. DMI is on the cutting edge of how international development should work by demonstrating that knowledge is not only a human right, but is also the key to saving lives in a cost-effective way. Our ethos is non-hierarchical: all our staff are intellectually high-powered and we have a “best idea wins” culture. By working at DMI you will have a genuine, measurable impact on improving lives in low-income countries.
DMI is ranked as one of the most cost-effective non-profit organisations in the world by GiveWell and is endorsed by the Centre for Effective Altruism, Giving What We Can, ImpactMatters and The Life You Can Save.
Find out more on our website.
DMI is looking for a Finance Officer to join our small, friendly and dynamic London team. The Finance Officer is a new role and will add capacity to DMI UK’s finance team (we operate a shared service financial model). Working with the Head of Finance and the Finance Assistant in the UK, and liaising with relevant staff in DMI’s international offices, the successful candidate will play an important part in ensuring that DMI’s finances are managed effectively and in line with internal policies and statutory requirements.
This is an ideal position for someone with some previous experience in a finance role, or a fully/part qualified finance professional. Working as part of the head office staff for a company that operates internationally you will gain broad experience of how the finance function works in the international development sector. More specifically, the Finance
Officer’s role will include the following responsibilities:
- Ensuring that complete and accurate accounting records for all DMI’s transactions are maintained, and accounting software is updated and reviewed in a timely manner
- Assisting with DMI’s banking operations, including setting up accounts, updating mandates/signatories, making payments, and reconciling accounts
- Assisting with DMI’s payroll process, including liaising with the outsourced payroll company in the UK and ensuring that DMI’s international offices process payroll in a timely and accurate manner
- Preparing monthly management accounts, including updating cashflow forecasts, and other reports (including to the Board and Finance and Audit Committee, funders and other stakeholders)
- Acting as a point of contact for DMI staff in UK and overseas offices for finance queries and providing financial support to team members, ensuring that the policies and procedures of DMI are upheld
- Maintaining relationships with existing suppliers and sourcing new suppliers, ensuring that the correct procurement policies have been followed
- Preparing VAT returns and assisting with other statutory returns such as Companies House reports and HMRC returns
- Assisting with year-end accounts preparation and any external audits
- Under the direction of the Head of Finance, mentoring and the day to day supervision of the Finance Assistant
- Other tasks as required by DMI.
Required knowledge, skills and experience
- Strong intellectual ability and professional financial experience, as evidenced by a formal qualification or part qualification in accountancy (CIMA, ACCA, AAT etc.) or experience of working as a finance assistant or a similar role
- Knowledge/understanding of reporting requirements for UK-based small businesses (FRS102, VAT returns, Companies House and HMRC requirements etc)
- Excellent IT skills, with specific competency with Microsoft Excel. Previous experience using accounting software (DMI currently uses QuickBooks) highly desirable
- Self-motivated and dynamic, with excellent organisational skills and a keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a team environment with technical and non-technical staff. Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Reliable, honest and trustworthy
- Permission to live and work in the UK
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience
- Interest and/or previous experience in the NGO or development sector
- Previous relevant experience in a small or medium sized not for profit business
- Language ability in French and/or Portuguese, both written and spoken
Minimum Education Required