Voqal is a collaboration of five nonprofit organizations that work at the intersection of media and technology to advance social equity. Voqal envisions a socially equitable and just world with an empowered, well-informed public actively engaged in a thriving democracy.
The Voqal Grant-Making Director assists Voqal in making grants in a variety of fields, including: traditional and new media, online organizing, on-the-ground organizing, reducing the influence of money in politics, ballot initiative campaigns, leadership development and other endeavors intended to promote progressive social change.
The Grant-Making Director is responsible for strategy development, implementation, management, supervision and evaluation of the organization’s grant-making program in accordance with the standards set out by the Voqal boards of directors.
As a member of the senior management team, the Grant-Making Director participates in strategic planning and budgeting initiatives in addition to problem solving. He/she works within the guidelines, policies and mission of the organization and will be accountable and responsible for specific projects as assigned.
- Bachelor degree in related field.
- In lieu of education, at least 8-10 years of nonprofit management, development, foundation or philanthropy experience required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Successfully manages multiple programs simultaneously.
- Works well under deadline pressure and meets timeline requirements.
- Stays up to date on industry and regulatory trends.
- Experience with CRM and online grants management systems, such as, Foundant preferred.
- Intermediate level Microsoft office skills.
- Provide oversight to the five Voqal companies’ grants administration function; suggest improvements and enhance experience and efficiency for all parties involved, including boards of directors, grantees, grant applicants and Voqal staff.
- Research grant-making opportunities in keeping with Voqal companies’ policies and priorities and develop grant-making strategies based on those factors.
- Perform due diligence on grant applicants, invite proposals pursuant to procedures of Voqal policies and procedures and prepare docket materials to assist the Voqal boards in making decisions on prospective grants.
- Advise the Voqal President and boards of directors concerning grant applications and prospective applications.
- Review and give preliminary approval of grant agreements; authorize payment requests; review and approve follow-up reports from grantees with the assistance of the philanthropy team.
- Identify and form partnerships with aligned funders and engage in ambassadorship with other funders, especially where Voqal seeks to exercise leadership.
- Work with Program Officer, Grants Associate and Voqal finance staff to maintain accurate records of grant approvals, appropriations and expenditures.
- Develop and deliver reporting mechanisms at regular intervals and coordinate internal communications with staff and boards regarding the status of philanthropic activities.
- Participates in Voqal board meetings/all-boards meetings in connection with the above-listed responsibilities.
- Lead collaborative grant-making and leadership development efforts.
- Responsible for implementing, managing and evaluating all aspects of Voqal’s Fellowship program. Develops and approves all formal communications related to applicants.
- Develops collaborative relationships with community partners. Serves as a liaison between the organization and the community.
Voqal also offers a very generous benefits package including: partially paid medical coverage for employees and dependents, partially paid dental and vision, paid LTD, STD, and AD&D. Paid vacation, sick, holidays, and personal time. Retirement program including profit sharing and 401K plans and match.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you are passionate about a career that allows you to positively impact society, then join the Voqal team and be the call for change. EOE.
Please email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.