The Group Strategy Director is a hands-on executive with an entrepreneurial spirit looking to leverage their years of experience to build a new strategic practice that pushes a generation of diverse leaders from the margins to the mainstream. The right candidate for this role will be an experienced creative leader passionate about team development with a proven ability to cultivate talent through a culture of collaboration and accountability.
The Group Strategy Director will contribute to building and growing our agency's business, client base, and reputation as a leading strategic partner for high impact leaders, organizations and businesses shifting the conversation on the social and political issues that shape our lives. You will be an integral part of our largest and most visible accounts, collaborating closely with our CEO and Management Team.
This is an opportunity to lead the charge in redefining what an agency can be and what a powerful story can do.
Competitive candidates will demonstrate a solid track record in 5 areas of core competency:
Craft and Expertise
- Demonstrate excellence and elevate the quality of the team, the briefs and the end output when you are involved.
- Set the standard for A/B-level strategy and creative outputs within the team and in the agency.
- Coach and mentor strategy and creative teams to get to their best work.
- Get hands-on to own, create and share C-level strategic POV’s.
- Comfortable with working at the speed of campaign/new economy brands.
- Experience working on projects that include creative direction (narrative strategy, brand strategy), campaign strategy (advertising/advocacy/political) and media planning (paid, earned, owned). Understanding how this work intersects and what is unique across the diversity of our project types.
- Passion for centering research in creative processes, an ability to actively engage research findings and translate them to clients and your teams.
- Build key client relationships in a big organization, getting to a quick understanding of what they need/will respond to.
- Play a key role in understanding long-term client business needs and the strategic competencies required to deliver them.
- Be a powerful force in the room and be able to convince, influence or listen when the situation calls for it (and know when to do what).
Commitment to Equity and Social Justice
- Knowledge of the social impact, political, philanthropic, impact ventures or non-profit sectors and the key players driving trends within them.
- A strong and proven commitment to building a diverse agency team that prioritizes racial and gender equity at every level as both a strategy for delivering high-impact creative work to our clients and differentiating our offering and approach from competitors.
- Provide input to codify the vision, brand, structure and management of the agency during a time of growth.
- Lead by example and with fair & honest feedback, always striving to help teams grow.
- Create the conditions for the team to thrive/feel good about their roles and value.
- Know enough of other disciplines to know when to bring them into the process to craft the best output.
- Secure a pipeline of potential clients, partnerships, and projects, creating written proposals/pitches, project scopes and estimates that hit your revenue goals.
- Foster a low-ego, high-collaboration culture.
- Set up our teams for success through resourcing, scoping, reviews and more.
- Partner with the most senior creative, strategy and research leads in the agency.
- Able to be persuasive and decisive about strategic direction.
- Cultivate strong relationships with movement, political, content, distribution, press and other strategic partners to animate the company’s work in the media landscape.
Equity is at the heart of A/B. From the clients we partner with and vendors we engage, to the team we’re building, we are committed to creating opportunities for the diverse community of talented, creative professionals who have been systematically denied opportunities across the professional communications industry.Women, people of color, people of any religion or nationality and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. Opportunities for advancement exist, and A/B is committed to helping all staff develop and grow.