624 Scripps Drive
The Billions Institute, LLC, works with foundations and non-profit organizations to design and lead effective large-scale change initiatives in the social sector. We create transformational learning experiences that equip our participants with practical frameworks on the science of large-scale change as well as the opportunity to do the inner-work necessary to be an effective change leader. Our participants come from some of the most respected foundations and non-profit organizations in the world, and their work spans six continents. The Billions Institute was founded in 2014 and the company is based in Claremont, California.
Our flagship offering is the Skid Row School for Large-Scale Change, a four-day training that we offer several times per year. We also offer a fellowship program and will be exploring additional advanced trainings in 2019.
A set of core operating values underlies everything we do at the Billions Institute. We believe that how we work, day in and day out, is highly predictive of success or failure. Specifically, we are committed to:
- Grounding our work out in the world and our ways of being with one another in racial and social justice.
- Staying curious, listening humbly to one another and learning from every interaction.
- Bringing our fullest best selves to the work and embodying authenticity.
- Acting with generosity and care with one another, our customers and the community.
- Redistributing our profits for the well-being of our employees and to advance justice.
- Aligning authority with responsibility.
- Achieving work-life balance.
- Measuring our successes by individuals getting the job done and our ability to contribute to the team.
- Continuously improving our offerings to be of the most service to the people who are funding and leading large-scale change.
We seek people who share these values to join our team and collectively bring our best selves to this work.
Project Associate/CEO Wrangler
The project associate will be responsible for providing a full and robust range of support to our in-person trainings, specifically the Skid Row School for Large-Scale Change, the fellowship, and advanced courses. The role will require superb administrative, logistical, interpersonal, and event planning and execution skills. The desired candidate will be a relentless do-er, a gracious representative to our participants, a delightful sidekick, and a thought-partner for continuously improving our offerings in this area.
This position will report to Becky Margiotta, Billions Institute Co-Founder, CEO & President.
- Provide overall project management, logistics, and operational support to all trainings
- Manage our online event and customer relations information systems (Bizzabo, CRM, and Mailchimp)
- Manage and grow our social media presence
- Help select and liaise with venues for trainings and meetings including contract negotiations, event preparations, and during the events themselves
- Coordinate event receptions and other social activities for participants
- Manage hotel room blocks, catering, affiliate meetings, transportation, and audio visual needs
- Review hotel bills and event associated invoices, reconciling any billing discrepancies
- Execute all logistics related to admissions for our customers from registration through payment and attendance
- Delight faculty and participants with timely communications, professional event management, and personalized support as needed
- Manage all behind-the-scenes logistical and operational preparations for each event
- Update/improve and maintain supplies, collateral materials, handouts, and PowerPoint slides
- Ensure training rooms are properly equipped and procure all needed materials (e.g., supplies, handouts, snacks) throughout the training
- Review invoices from event and faculty and approve for payment
- Track expenses against event budget and keep within expected expenses
- Compile and evaluate all event surveys to make necessary changes to improve the quality of the event
- Maintain the website with updated information on trainings and new photographs; integrate event software into website
- Travel to support events up to four times per year
- Maintain dashboard of company’s key performance indicators
- Manage video-conferencing technology platform (ZOOM) for all webinars related to the Skid Row School and other Training programs
- Manage CEO’s schedule by coordinating calls and webinars with colleagues
- Book CEO’s travel
- Manage CEO’s expense reports
- Proactively think about ways to maximize CEO’s time
- Assisting with personal errands on occasion
Position Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Personal passion for social change/social justice work
- Personal commitment to racial equity, gender equity, and social justice, including willingness to do the inner “mirror” work to address any areas of Internalized Racial Superiority or Oppression
- Ability to self-manage completion of all work tasks and work independently without the need for micromanagement
- Superb communication and negotiation skills to deal with external vendors (hotel, AV, etc.)
- Experience with creating and managing logistical details for meetings, developing and managing catering menus and budgets, negotiating and contracting AV needs
- Familiarity with hotel requirements, their work processes, legal issues, including an understanding of attrition clauses and management of situations to avoid attrition
- Experience with event management software, customer relationship software, MailChimp
- Experience managing, tracking, and adhering to a budget
- Eagerness to work in a small, highly motivated and fast-moving environment
- Ability to be comfortable and thrive with frequent change and innovation
- Ability to creatively solve problems to ensure deliverables are met.
- Ability to work in teams and to pitch in when necessary at all task levels
- Composure to address and diffuse difficult situations tactfully
- Desire to commitment to maintain an upbeat, stimulating and creative environment
- Time management skills to handle the competing priorities of managing several events as well as CEO-related support activities
- Detailed and thorough in work with the ability to streamline communications & questions for efficiency and expediency
- Ability to take conceptual guidance and translate it into efficient user-friendly processes
- Possess innate warmth, kindness, and respect for colleagues and customers
- Desire to delight colleagues and customers
- Curiosity and humility; willingness to learn and grow personally and professionally; open to giving and receiving feedback
- Confidence in their abilities; a strong sense of self
- Demonstrates high degree of integrity with transparent and authentic communications and keeping or consciously changing agreements
- Start date: June 1st, 2018
- Location: Claremont, CA; combination of working from home and working from the CEO’s home office
- Opportunity to receive a bonus if company is sufficiently profitable
- Laptop stipend
- Monthly phone stipend
- Professional development stipend
- Contributions toward retirement and insurance
- Paid time off
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: Write Becky Margiotta (email@example.com) a one paragraph letter summarizing why you feel personally drawn to the Billions Institute, why you think you would be a good fit for this job, and what you are most eager to contribute to our team. Please include a link to a Linkedin or other online profile as well as email contact information for one professional reference who knows you well. Thank you!