Looking for something different? Maisha Meds is hiring! We’re looking for a CTO to lead our technical team as we advance health care in East Africa, where over 60% of patients visit private pharmacies as their first point to access health care. Candidates should be excited about the prospect of taking a leadership role in a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment, be interested in helping galvanize a budding tech community, and have a keen interest in transforming how low-income patients access health care.
You will be joining a small, enthusiastic team of 10 based in Kenya as we scale to thousands of pharmacies in the next year supporting hundreds of thousands of patient encounters. As such, you’ll have the opportunity to make a large and visible impact on our company and the autonomy to build our tech to thrive at scale. Ideal candidates will love solving complex problems with simple solutions and will have significant prior technical management experience and are keen to make an impact with their work. If that sounds like you, we’d love for you to join us.
About Maisha Meds
We’re working to make quality medicines and diagnostics affordable and accessible for the 2.5 billion patients worldwide who access primary health care at their local drug shop. Not long ago, we started with software that tracked medication sales and inventory at these drug shops and clinics. Now we are moving into medication supply chains, partnering with suppliers to ensure that effective medicines are stocked in pharmacies across East Africa, and that they have the working capital to optimize their shops. Our software is used by hundreds of pharmacies in Africa to support hundreds of thousands of patients each year.
For the people who use our software, it represents a way of tracking business decisions and accessing deals and working capital. For patients, we negotiate prices on their behalf and build payment systems to ensure that they can access and afford high quality essential medicines, in a setting where 1 in 10 products is counterfeit or substandard.
You’d make an ideal candidate if you:
- Have a passion for working on some of the world’s biggest problems
- Have a strong technical leadership background and track record of building and managing high-performing teams
- Get excited about finding simple technology solutions to complex problems
- Have prior experience scaling a small and distributed dev team into an efficient engineering organization
- Are an excellent communicator and excel at giving and receiving feedback
- Have had your share of failures and share the lessons you’ve learned
- Are passionate about helping others succeed
- Have at least three years of experience managing teams of software engineers
- Are interested in moving to East Africa or are excited to travel here up to 4 months per year in multi-week trips
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, at least 3 years of direct managerial experience leading a large project.
- You love programming. You enjoy having machines do your bidding. Are you proud of something you’ve built? We’d love to see it.
- Solid CS fundamentals, prior experience with building large-scale, distributed web and mobile applications on the cloud.
- Humility, empathy, and a sense of humor. We are a small team that cares deeply about our work, and it is essential that our team work well together
- You care deeply about what we’re building and how it may change how healthcare is accessed for millions of patients.
- A passion for building world class product with a desire to see it scaled widely.
Nice to haves:
- Profiling/Scaling/Performance Optimization: Designed, built and/or managed systems capable of handling massive scale
- Design: We put our users first, and are big on following a rigorous design and iteration processes. We also love beautiful products. If you’ve built something that looks awesome, or been involved in the design thinking process, we’d love to see what you’ve built and/or hear about your experience!
- Data Science/Statistics: We are developing a massive dataset of healthcare utilization and consumption patterns, and it is hugely important to us that we measure this across regions and evaluate how our system changes cost of healthcare. Any experience you bring to help us do this is awesome.
- Prior startup experience: Maybe you’ve been an early employee at another startup, or you’ve tried something on your own. We’d love to hear about your growing pains!
Why you should come work with us
Our company aims to take the best of Silicon Valley, including the technical expertise, rapid iteration, and agile processes, and apply its approach to solving problems that affect millions across sub-Saharan Africa. Though we can’t offer you catered daily meals, a ping-pong table, or 30” monitors, we can offer an opportunity to drive real, quantifiable change, leading a small but passionate tech team, and give you access to some of the world’s most incredible places. We are dedicated to our work and care deeply about our product’s impact, the clients and patients who use our software, and the company’s success. You’ll join our leadership team to grow a small startup to a company serving tens of millions of people.
Start date is flexible, and compensation is commensurate with experience.
If you are interested, we’d love to hear from you. Please get in touch with a CV and some information about why you are interested in our company and this role at email@example.com with the subject line “CTO”. Thank you!
Minimum Education Required