GUATEMALA | Pro Bono Accountant to support Education and Vocational Training | 2-4 Weeks
- Job posted by Accounting for International Development (AfID)
Details: 2 - 4 Weeks Voluntary Assignment in Guatemala
11 Glenthorne Road
Based near the famous and picturesque city of Antigua, our partner is a small organization providing educational support to indigenous children and their families who live below the poverty line. They are seeking a Pro Bono Accountant with experience in audit to review and improve their current systems and procedures.
The organisation run an After School Centre which supports children with their homework and offers English and Math lessons. They host a Soccer Club and Reading Program, as well as offering leadership training and several vocational classes such as Sewing or Computer Science for older students. The organisation reached out to AfID because they want to review and improve their current systems and procedures, to make sure they operate in an environment of transparency, efficiency and accountability.
Your role will start with an assessment of their accounting and financial systems and make and implement recommendations based on the complexity of their accounting/reporting requirements, availability of resources, and skillset of local staff. The focus will be to establish good practices, and coach staff in these, ensuring that they can be maintained after your departure. The Executive Director, has also identified the following areas where they would need support:
· Assessment and review of their current use of QuickBooks and correct categorization of donations and expenses.
· Evaluation and preparation of accounts for a possible external audit in the future.
· Monitoring and handling cash
· Reporting lines for internal use, board and donors.
· Training local staff in best practices and changes you introduced.
· Support in preparing a financial procedures manual, if the time allows it.
This voluntary assignment is a unique opportunity to apply your professional skills in an international development setting, significantly contribute to the support and development of local staff and have a lasting impact. If you are a qualified accountant, looking to make a difference and gain relevant international experience to help you transition into the sector, this could be the perfect opportunity for you.
Minimum Education Required