Details: Depending on level and experience.
1342 Florida Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
Megaphone is looking for an entry-level media relations strategist!
About us: Megaphone is a not-for-profit social justice PR firm. Our mission is to use PR as a tool to diversify the media and politics. We partner with frontline communities, political campaigns, and impactful social justice groups to break through and win on a range of progressive issues. Our team reflects the movement we are trying to build and support: we are a small but mighty group of women of color, queer folks, and people with disabilities.
Position: Media Relations Associate or Media Relations Coordinator (Salary range: $40-50,000/ year depending on level and experience.) This is a full-time position based in Washington, DC, that is 80% media relations and 20% administrative.
Who we are looking for:
- Relationship builders -- you actively build relationships with partners, reporters and fellow team members at Megaphone through dependability, hard work, empathy, and a great sense of humor.
- Movement people -- you have a commitment to social justice and an active practice of learning when it comes to social justice and inequality. Megaphone staff and partners come from all different backgrounds when it comes to skin color, income, religion, disability, gender, and sexual orientation and we expect all of our team members to consistently work to improve their allyship across these areas of difference.
- News junkies -- you love the news whether it’s your local paper, TMZ,CNN, Ebony or mitú.
- Innovators -- you want to help build something new, and you are excited about a startup environment.
- Storytellers -- you can see the story through the weeds and see the power of stories to transform social justice and political campaigns.
- Talented researchers -- you are adept at finding background information about topics and people online.
In a typical month, you would:
- Research media coverage of our partners and produce clips.
- Research the best reporters to cover our partners and key events, and build and maintain lists of reporters covering key issue areas and regions.
- Create and maintain databases of partner materials in Google Docs to coordinate pitching and maintain organization.
- Create first drafts of press materials ranging from statements and memos to communications plans to outlines/first drafts of op-eds.
- Work with senior staff to pitch events and key partner moments to local, state, and national media.
- Staff client events such as protests, direct actions, press conferences, and galas as needed.
- Copy edit press releases, statements, opinion pieces, and partnership proposals.
- Assist with administrative tasks such as scheduling, preparation for meetings, ordering office supplies, etc.
- Attend happy hours and events around DC to build Megaphone’s network as well as your own.
We’d like you to have:
- 1-4 years of experience in media relations, social justice, and/ or politics; or at least one cycle on a campaign.
- Experience drafting written materials for external audiences, ideally in the format of press releases, statements, or advisories.
- Spanish language skills a huge plus.
- Non-profit experience is a plus.
- PR firm experience is a plus.
- Political campaign or Congressional experience is a plus.
100% employer paid health, dental and vision insurance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply: please email your resume, three professional writing samples or example story placements, and answers to the questions below with the subject line “Megaphone Associate” or “Megaphone Coordinator” to: hello@MegaphoneStrategies.com
Applications are encouraged asap and are due by May 26th. Our hiring process will begin the week of May 21st.
Questions for your application:
- Why do you want to work at Megaphone?
- What drives you to work on social justice?
- What would you bring to this position?