BetterLesson empowers K-12 teachers to build a modern classroom: learner-centered, culturally responsive, and personalized. Instead of the conventional (and ineffective) format of professional development for educators—filling an auditorium for a day of sleep-inducing lectures—BetterLesson supports teachers for the entire school year with regular, 1:1, virtual coaching. We match each teacher with a world-class coach and then leverage our technology to study actual classroom performance, to suggest customized teaching strategies, to qualitatively and quantitatively measure impact on student learning, and to continuously improve teaching practice through rapid iteration. This process leads to off-the-charts teacher love (our data shows teachers love BetterLesson more than Apple users love their iPhones), high administrator engagement, and, most importantly, dramatic teacher and student growth.
We design and tightly control every aspect of the system in-house: our coaching methodology, the content behind our pedagogical viewpoint, the delivery of our services to all teachers and district leaders, and the software powering our web and mobile apps. BetterLesson has raised over $30M of venture capital and grant funding, serves over 70 school districts, sees 850K+ monthly active users accessing our online lessons and strategies, and is expanding quickly.
We are a small and growing team of teaching practice gurus, educational opportunity devotees, and product development specialists. We place tremendous value on our company’s roots and culture: a shared passion to transform professional learning for educators at scale and a sense of urgency to achieve this vision. All candidates should have the experience, competence, and enthusiasm to dive in headfirst and rapidly solve complex, exciting, and interconnected problems. We feel we offer a unique opportunity to join a small team, have flexible hours, and make a massive impact on our education system.
About the Job:
We are seeking contract coaches to work remotely to provide 1:1 virtual coaching. We’re looking for current or former teachers/coaches who have experience coaching new and veteran teachers in a variety of subject areas and grade levels.
You will support teachers in thinking deeply about their practice and make strategic improvements by utilizing the Try-Measure-Learn process. BL Coaching brings lean startup principles to teacher learning by engaging teachers in structured experimentation to address rich problems of practice. It’s awesome and if you’re awesome you should apply.
You will focus on 3 main functional areas:
- applying your knowledge of adult learning and leveraging your teaching experience to support teachers at multiple grade levels and across multiple content areas to virtually coach teachers across the country as they engage in the Try-Measure-Learn process
- supporting teachers to apply instructional strategies, measure progress, and discuss key learnings through looking at student work and classroom artifacts
- the potential to support teachers in-person to model active pedagogy and kickoff the Personalized PD experience
- utilize your knowledge of pedagogy and content to identify effective instructional strategies for teachers to implement in their classrooms
- meet with educators virtually in 1:1 coaching sessions and support them to demonstrate growth and competency in selected instructional outcomes
- support educators to upload evidence of competency on instructional outcomes using our BL Lab
- create a safe virtual space for educators to reflect on their teaching practice and identify areas of growth
- reflective about your coaching practice and actively seek feedback for improvement
- able to be compelling with your verbal and written communication
- self-directed, diligent teammate with 3+ years teaching/coaching experience
- excited to support teachers to improve their practice
- collaborative with others and work calmly in a fast-paced startup environment
- 3+ years teaching and/or coaching in a K-12 environment
- an overall understanding of the key learnings in the major content areas (ELA, History, Math, Science, CRTL, ELL, Sped, and/or Blended)
- experience skillfully facilitating (virtually and in-person) adult learning as an instructional coach or other role working with teachers to change their practice and/or mindsets
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply here.