5625 College Avenue
Community Grains is a small but fast-growing company based in Oakland, CA, offering a variety of whole grain flours, dried pastas, bread and polenta. All of our grains and products are 100% whole grain and our Identity Preserved line is sourced directly from amazing local farmers in Northern California. At the core of Community Grains is a deep commitment to good food, information, curiosity, and original thinking. We’re on a mission to move the needle on whole grain consumption nationally, and together with local farmers, millers, bakers, cooks, and eaters, we’re working to create a local grain economy that makes sense for everyone. If that sounds like something you’d like to be a part of – we’d love you to join our team!
Community Grains is looking for a Sales & Marketing Manager to work in partnership with the President and General Manager to grow our direct, retail and food service business, as well as maintain our current customer base. A successful candidate would be able to demonstrate a commitment to our values.
Because we are a small company, the Sales & Marketing Manager will need to be comfortable wearing many hats, the average day could include regular travel throughout the greater Bay Area meeting with retailers, bakers, chefs and distributors - a car is a must as is the ability to lift 50lbs when called upon to help make a special delivery of flour. There may also be travel to develop our LA market as well as out-of-state relationships.
A sense of humor, penchant for detail, and ability to quickly switch gears when the unexpected happens is essential.
The ideal candidate for this position is a motivated self-starter, intellectually curious, and is very flexible. We are seeking a candidate with 2+ years of experience working in CPG sales and or marketing. A strong connection to and passion for the local food movement and experience with retail is a plus.
- Maintain current relationships with retail and restaurant accounts with a customer service-oriented approach and regular in person visits to stores and restaurants
- Manage promotions, demos, category reviews and tradeshow participation through our distributors.
- Manage database of accounts and provide regular reporting on progress
- Establish new retail and restaurant accounts
- Participate in trade shows and events that support and promote Community Grains products
- Contribute to short and long-term organizational planning and strategy as member of the Community Grains team
- Proactively seek out ways to improve our sales processes and channels, relationship management, and product feedback cycles
- Update & create marketing materials for sales efforts
- Think outside the box to design and implement marketing programs across channels in collaboration with our partners
- Manage and build on digital marketing efforts including: website, social media, e-commerce, direct marketing
- Source and develop partnerships with good food and nutrition influencers
- 2+ years prior experience in sales, marketing, or account management
- Experience working in a team environment
- Experience growing a company from startup to medium stage is ideal
- Ability to travel locally and overnight (potentially several days in a row)
- Ability to Lift 50 pounds
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience, advanced degree is a plus
- Results oriented, resourceful and driven to exceed monthly sales goals
- Able to work independently but also a team player
- Outgoing, personable and friendly, both in person and on the phone
- Passionate or curious about local (and delicious!) food
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and decision-making skills
- Proficient in Mac, with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience with CRM or Marketing Automation Programs – like Pipedrive, SalesForce, Sugar and/or Hubspot – is a plus
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required