Values-led ice cream company Ben & Jerry’s is recruiting an Activism Manager to lead social and environmental justice campaigns with our team in Barcelona, Spain.
About Ben & Jerry’s
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield.
At Ben & Jerry’s we have an inspiring ambition. We aim to pioneer our ‘linked prosperity business model’ to advance the global movement for social and economic justice while growing our business. This translates into a high-paced growth environment where we bring our grassroots and activist spirit into everything we do.
Launched in 2000 in Spain, Ben & Jerry’s ice cream is known for its big chunks and irreverent tone of voice. For the past few years, the company has expanded distribution & awareness across the country.
Role & Responsibilities
The primary role of the Activism Manager is to translate Ben & Jerry’s values into successful externally-focused activist campaigns that demonstrate the company’s global commitment to our social mission goals, and drive action across Spain to meet these goals
· Lead in building authentic and “living” campaigns in Spain that tie in with our two global Social Mission goals of supporting refugee & asylum seeker rights and fighting for climate justice, under the direction of the Head of Activism for Ben & Jerry’s Europe and the Country Business Leader for Ben & Jerry’s Spain. These campaigns should incite action primarily in Ben & Jerry’s fan-base, and secondarily, when possible, through extended stakeholder constituencies, using compelling content and messaging through our key channels as a company.
· Work with a number of key stakeholders (both internal and external) to organise and mobilise to deliver on our Company’s commitment on activism.
· Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be essential. Having the right energy and attitude to connect both parts of our organisation will be critical for success.
· Play a major role in developing and nurturing partnerships that advance public policies that foster a vibrant, just and sustainable economy and society in Spain.
· Initiate innovative ways to help others recognise the central role that business plays in the structure of society and the quality of life at both the national and international levels.
· Create opportunities to work with multiple stakeholders, including: for-profit, non-profit, non-governmental organisations, progressive advocates, civil society organisations, alternative trading organisations, social enterprises, legislators and public officials; educating them in regard to our social mission and intention to make positive changes in our community.
· Connect with the European Activism Team based in the Ben & Jerry’s Europe office in the UK, and the Global Activism Manager based in Vermont, USA, to support the roll out of our global activism strategy in Spain.
· Work closely with the Head of Activism for Ben & Jerry’s Europe, plus Activism Managers in UK, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden and France to provide scale to our activism goals in Europe.
· Support the development of activism content for websites and social media in Spain.
· Work closely with the digital, social media, PR and marketing teams and agencies to support the delivery of activism campaigns in Spain, as well as increasing knowledge and understanding of our activism model, and our issue focus areas of refugee & asylum rights and climate justice, within the team and agencies in Spain.
Skills & Experience
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position within Unilever, the ability to build excellent relationships within both Unilever and Ben & Jerry’s will be essential. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the marketing excellence and operational effectiveness that is built by Unilever – while preserving the 3rd part mission and community of connectivity within Ben & Jerry’s. Our kind of candidate is/has:
· Three to five years of previous campaign experience and a proven track of campaign strategy development.
· Minimum degree or equivalent practical experiences in Political Science, Sociology, Community Organizing or related fields relevant to this work; Marketing, Communications, or a Business degree a plus.
· A strong knowledge of public policy and the political process in Spain.
· A belief in the power of grass-roots campaigning and commitment to movement-building as a theory of change.
· Experience and understanding of how to use a diverse set of tools and channels, including digital and social media, to inspire people to action in support of progressive social change. Creative, with a grasp of what makes a good story
· Values ethical brands, with experience working directly in or with business a plus.
· Experience working across multi-cultural and diverse communities.
· Strong interpersonal, leadership, communication and diplomacy skills.
· Excellent public speaking and presentation skills, and media experience.
· Attention to detail, planning and preparation.
· Ability to influence internal and external partners in order to establish a collaborative stakeholder alignment across a complex globally matrixed organization.
· Will work independently, with limited oversight, while defining the role.
Level of Language Proficiency
. Professional level English is required
· Fluency in Spanish is required; the local team use Spanish for business operations
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply send a CV and cover letter in both Spanish and English (sorry!) to: email@example.com with the title Activism Manager Spain by 5pm on Tuesday 6th November
In your cover letter you should highlight two social justice campaigns that have caught your eye in recent times, outlining:
- Why they have been successful in bringing about social change?
- How the campaigned developed an effective theory of change?
- How they effectively engaged with people power?
- How the campaign understood power dynamics?
- What you believe could have been improved in the campaign?
Considering Ben & Jerry’s Social Mission goals, we’d also love to hear your thoughts on the following:
- What you see as the main issue facing refugees or asylum seekers in Spain?
- What you see as Spain’s role within the climate justice movement?
To find out more about our company and the work we do visit www.benjerry.com and www.benjerry.es!