At the heart of Future Laboratories' mission to launch bold projects for a better world is the belief that when an opportunity can be powerfully and authentically connected to someone whose entire life’s mission has been building toward bringing that opportunity to life, magic can happen.
That’s why we take so seriously the work of writing. Every moonshot project we launch – from startup companies to national collaborations, breakthrough technologies to policies that could improve the lives of hundreds of millions of people – requires helping someone else, whether a funder or entrepreneur or partner, to see personal connectivity with the opportunity. And that in turn requires a beautifully crafted letter that spells out what the opportunity is, and why it’s a match for them.
And so we’re looking for a Writer-in-Chief to work closely with the CEO, a former speechwriter in the Obama Administration and journalist (who happens to love the art of creative, personal, impactful writing) – and others on the team, to build out the most formidable writing operation in the history of social change, and start modeling the power of writing to create opportunity from day one. The Writer-in-Chief will develop correspondence, decks, notes, pitches, op-eds, and other forms of writing. Think Ted Sorensen meets Peggy Noonan or Sam Seaborn meets Maya Angelou. And we’re seeking someone who can be a great editor, too – increasingly over time.
If you are up for the unusual challenge of fusing the work of investigative journalism, social entrepreneurship, and project matchmaking into one – and writing in service of a better future for all people – then put your hat in the ring. We intend to close this search without delay.
Overview of Future Laboratories & The Future Project
Future Laboratories is a startup that aspires to become society’s R&D department. Just as Bell Labs came to life a century ago to pursue the technical moonshots of their times, Future Laboratories exists to pursue moonshots for humanity, today. We’re growing brilliant teams made up of pragmatic idealists across every imaginable discipline who aren’t afraid to envision a new future and bring it to life. But we don’t just dream big – we translate these new ideas into tangible projects with the structure and resources to actually come to life. Sometimes the outcome is a product, policy, or public campaign. Sometimes it’s a company, concept, or category not yet invented. Armed with our curiosity, our passion, and some incredible people, our ambition is to be the most effective and reliable team for changing the world for the better.
Future Laboratories grew out of The Future Project, one of the fastest-growing nonprofits in America, dedicated to unleashing the possibility and power of young people to change the world. The Future Project came together in partnership with some of the most visionary educators, leaders, and young people in the country. Together we built an innovative service for schools by employing our unique method that combines the best scientifically supported techniques from across multiple research domains to build will and skill in students and transform school culture. To date, we’ve launched programs in schools nationwide—impacting 30,000 young people—and have built a diverse national community committed to the mission of youth empowerment in the process.
For both organizations, the ultimate aim is to make the world work for 100% of humanity in the shortest possible time, and while we will celebrate progress along the way, nothing less will suffice over the long run. Given advances in technology, more human willpower than ever before, and momentum around thinking anew about how to truly change the world, radical improvement is more possible than ever before.
As Writer-in-Chief, you will be accountable for…
Writing & Editing (70-80%)
- Write emails, pitches, letters, and other materials in collaboration with—and often on behalf of—the CEO and other key leaders for executive and project-related correspondence, helping to secure talent, funders, and partners with which to build projects that can transform society.
- Meet regularly with the CEO and others across the team to identify and prioritize communication needs.
- Work with the team to hone and develop written communication voice and tone to ensure the ability to effectively curate drafts.
- Work at a high-pace to take dictation, turn around drafts and meet other highly time-sensitive deadlines.
- Edit the writing work of others, and ensure consistent quality and style across the team.
Executive Office Communications Strategy & Administration (20-30%)
- Create a correspondence system to monitor, categorize, prioritize, draft and manage internal and external communication streams for the CEO and other key leaders on the team, including inbound and outbound written communication and follow-ups (email and handwritten, as appropriate), organization-wide memos/updates, social media presence, etc.
- Work directly with the CEO, Chief of Staff and Sr. Executive Assistant on the development of a proactive and reactive strategic outreach and communication strategy for the CEO in alignment with related travel schedules, organizational strategy needs/inflection points, etc.
- Collaborate with the Creative Director and Director, Partnerships to identify opportunities for “think pieces” to highlight the organization through leveraging the company’s voice and related content strategy and development.
- Provide strategic support on internal communications platform design and systems to enhance internal communication efficiencies and communications.
- Support broader communications related needs in the Executive Office, as required.
We're looking for someone who...
- Believes that writing – and, in particular, a thoughtful letter to the right person at the right time – can change the world.
- Loves learning about people – what makes them tick, their passions, their dreams – and loves connecting them with opportunities that could change their life and the world.
- Has crafted their skill as a persuasive, accessible writer – and has the track record to show for it.
- Is detail-oriented and has proofreading skills in grammar, spelling, and style that are second nature.
- Loves investigating and getting to the bottom of something or someone – finding the signal for the noise.
- Is extremely skilled in the nuances of relationships, especially in management and administration.
- Thinks clearly – and can can use logic and reason to craft a compelling argument, while doing so in a way that is genuinely persuasive and pleasant.
- Understands the importance of confidentiality in sensitive communications.
- Uses writing to foster creativity playing with language to hone and craft ideas and make big opportunities extremely accessible.
Ideal candidates may have a professional background in...
- Creative nonfiction
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The Future Laboratories team is based in New York City, at our new HQ located on Union Square West.
What To Expect
We’ll first request your writing samples and statement of interest. If that goes well, we’d like to chat with you – and possibly have you share more writing and come in to meet the team. Soon, you’ll meet the CEO, with whom you’d work personally and directly. We intend to move quickly, and won’t leave you hanging or lead you on.
Future Laboratories is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee based on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, alienage or citizenship status, ancestry, nationality, national origin, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Future Laboratories will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.