Employee Classification: W-2
Schedule: Full-time, on-site
Pay: $55,000.00 - $60,000.00 per year
Science, Language & Arts International School (SLA) is an independent school focused on project-based science, arts, and math and committed to a rich and rigorous multilingual education in French and Mandarin. Our Main Campus, located in the heart of Downtown Brooklyn, New York, serves an international and progressive community of families with students in Pre-K to Grade 5, and hosts external programming for all ages. Our Early Childhood Annex serves children ages 2–4. Additionally, we soon plan to extend our programming to middle school in 2022.
We are seeking a talented, multidisciplinary individual to fulfill the role of Operations and Finance Manager. The Operations and Finance Manager is primarily responsible for strategic and day-to-day school finance and operations, and manages an administrative support staff consisting of security, academic affairs, and HR personnel. This role provides logistical support to our school faculty and staff while also independently overseeing building facilities and maintenance, information technology, accounts receivable and payable, and cashflow, while also maintaining excellent relationships with our families and partners.
This is a full-time position and is intended to be performed on-site, based in our Main Campus. There are limited telework opportunities available. We offer a competitive benefits package, numerous avenues for community involvement, and a supportive environment, rich in opportunities for professional development and self-reflection. On-the-job training is available for this role.
- Manages administrative support and security staff, including Human Resources and Academic Affairs departments
- Creates and manages short- and long-term school budgets, including projecting cashflow and determining school tuition or program rates
- Manages student records and billing database (Sandbox in FileMaker)
- Manages accounts receivable, including tuition billing and coordinating with families on payment
- Manages accounts payable, including payroll and liabilities, rent, contractor and operational expenses, marketing expenses, etc.
- Coordinates with accounting partners to ensure accurate tax filings
- Manages building security and facilities, including developing, maintaining, and negotiating relationships with maintenance contractors and vendors at both school sites and maintaining school inventory
- Manages HR responsibilities, including employee on-boarding and terminations, benefits administration, investigations, and compliance, tracking employee leave, etc.
- Coordinates and facilitates annual student enrollment process in partnership with academic affairs and enrollment departments
- Audits and updates as necessary all school protocols with respect to building operations and security, including COVID-19 health and safety protocols, technology use protocols, emergency safety protocols, staff scheduling, employee handbook and remote work policies, etc.
- General information technology and website management, including troubleshooting of school software (Hive, Sandbox, Student Billing, Zoom, etc.) and hardware (printers, tablets, computers, modems and routers, phone systems, etc.)
- General handiwork projects as needed
- Ensures school regulatory compliance with DOHMH, DOE, and FDNY regulations pertaining to Nursery–Kindergarten programs and Grade 1+ programs, respectively, including preparing for inspections
- Maintains partnerships with and ensures excellent customer service for the school community, including enrolled and prospective students and their families, school employees, rental partners, etc.
- Supports fundraising efforts
- Develops and updates annual operations calendar
- Provides logistical support to other members of the school administration and faculty
- Ability to communicate clearly in English
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, especially in education, business, accounting, or human resource management
- At least two years of experience in operations or finance management
- Strong proficiency with the Google Suite and/or Microsoft Office Suite, especially Sheets/Excel
- Prior experience working with young children in an education-based setting
- Master’s degree or higher, especially in education, business, accounting, or human resource management
- Fluency in languages other than English, especially French or Mandarin
- Three to five years of experience in operations or finance management
- Prior experience as a member of school administration or faculty, HR administrator, facilities manager, or IT professional
- Prior experience with FileMaker software packages, especially Sandbox
- Prior experience in an IT management role
- F-07 and S-95 Fire Certifications
- Subsidized Health insurance
- Low-cost dental and vision insurance
- Membership in One Medical
- Membership in Teladoc
- Wageworks Pre-Tax Transit Benefit
- Ability to purchase Supplemental Life Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Discounted gym memberships
How To Apply
- Please submit a resume and a cover letter as your application. The cover letter should describe your educational philosophy, address how you would perform well in this role, identify key relevant experiences, and include your availability. Later in the application process, please be prepared to provide personal and professional references as requested.
- Resume and Cover Letter submissions should be sent to email@example.com and address your cover letter to the hiring manager. Please include the position title in the subject of your email.
- Only applicants deemed a good fit for this position will be contacted to schedule an interview.
NOTE: Due to uncertainty regarding Covid-19, this position may be performed in-person or remotely. Some job responsibilities listed below may change to accommodate a remote working environment.