Change.org is the world’s largest technology platform for social change. Our team spans 18 countries and empowers hundreds of millions of people to win the change they want to see.
Change.org users have convinced giant corporations like Starbucks to invest in better cups to protect our environment; pushed Congress to pass the first ever Bill of Rights for sexual assault survivors; ended discriminatory policies in the Boy Scouts of America that kept LGBT people from serving as Scouts or Scout leaders; and secured the freedom of nearly 20 people serving life sentences in prison for nonviolent drug offenses, shaping a national conversation about inequities in the U.S. criminal justice system. As a social good business, we aim to build a world where creating change is a part of everyday life.
It’s deeply exciting work and a deeply exciting, meaningful time to be a part of it.
About the role
In this role, you will be a senior leader at Change.org responsible for building our brand by elevating the stories of our campaigns, petition starters and users to mass media audiences across North America.
You’ll lead the North American communications team of 4-5 to amplify the stories of people using Change.org to make a difference. In other words, you’ll tell the story of Change.org while inspiring millions to believe in their own potential to alter the world around them. On any given day, you and your team might be negotiating with a Senator’s office, training petition starters on how to speak to the media, accompanying the CEO to a prime-time television taping, or handling high-level media relationships.
You’ll lead our brand strategy:
- Turn the vision and big picture goals into an ambitious brand strategy to drive our national presence and media coverage telling the story of Change.org
- Deepen brand affinity with our users, partners and potential users, creating a virtuous cycle where brand affinity drives petition creation and user engagement
- Grow our social media reach and influence, and ensure all our channels are leveraged for impact on the campaigns started on the platform.
You’ll drive our communications and media campaigning:
- Lead top-tier national media outreach on the grassroots campaigns that develop daily on Change.org, including leading your team to identify and pitch compelling campaign stories every day
- Oversee media training and support to petition starters and your colleagues before and during media appearances and events
- Collaborate and coordinate with teams around the world on international campaigns and media opportunities.
- Represent Change.org at important media meetings, events and interviews, both on- and off-the-record.
You’ll lead the communications team:
- Hire, manage, coach, and lead a standout communications team in North America
- Actively contribute to the North American leadership team of 5 across campaigns, communications, membership, and email staff. Together we’ll expand the team, run and win massive campaigns, and build our brand and revenue.
- Work with vendors to ensure the team has effective and reliable databases, tools, and resources for public relations work.
- You’re a leading communications professional, with significant experience engaging national and influential media that reach millions of people in North America
- You’re a story fiend who lives for a well told story, believes deeply in its power to change the world and is uncommonly good at identifying and framing stories
- You’re a strategic brand-builder with a demonstrated ability to create a national and/or global brand presence for an organization
- You’re an inspiring manager, having effectively built and led high-performing teams
- You’re collaborative, supportive and inclusive in your relationships with your team and colleagues, and comfortable working cooperatively in a fast-paced environment
- You’re passionate about Change.org’s mission of social change and empowering people everywhere to make a difference in the world.
As a bonus, you might also have some of these skills or experiences:
- building strategic relationships with national media producers, editors, bookers, influencers, and journalists
- handling strategic and crisis communications, messaging, and brand management
- living in or building relationships with communities that have faced disadvantage, discrimination or marginalization in North America
- working in a digital/online environment, with colleagues who live far from you
- working with leaders to build their profiles
- building internal communications systems
- working for a technology platform and/or an organization run on user-generated campaigns/content
This is a full-time role ideally based in New York, but we will also consider exceptional people based in Washington DC, or working remotely on East Coast US hours.
We are a certified B corporation with generous benefits including unlimited vacation, 18 weeks fully paid parental leave, and health, vision and dental insurance. We’re enjoy our work, and working with each other.
We’re committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our user base is wonderfully diverse, and we want our team to reflect that. We strongly encourage people of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. We will consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
We are working for a world where no one is powerless, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. Join us.
Minimum Education Required