5 Union Square West
Future Laboratories has the will and the resources to invest in mastering the science and art of team building, and we are seeking a Talent Manager to lead the charge in cultivating Future Laboratories’ remarkable team.
As Talent Manager, you will be a key pillar of our Talent Team and important contributor to our People Operations division -- a cross-functional team composed of Talent & Operations team members dedicated to designing Future Laboratories as a great place to work. You will serve as a key thought-partner to our executive team and department leads in designing and building a world-class organization, collaborating with these leaders to craft organizational charts, role scopes, recruitment and selection models, and more. You will be a manager of both people and projects, overseeing searches from end to end as well as leveraging the support of Talent Associates to ensure that all people-related work is done with excellence. And you will be an important architect and enforcer of Future Laboratories’ talent brand, serving as a primary point of contact to candidates, recruiting partners (e.g. academic institutions, search firms), and via other external communications channels.
As our Talent Manager, you excel at management of both people and projects, and are eager to oversee searches, spearhead special projects, and support hiring managers alike. You are craving the opportunity to deepen your talent acquisition experience and take ownership over multiple facets of People Operations work as a means of building your portfolio en route to becoming a leader within the field. Ideally, you have 3+ years of full-time experience in talent acquisition, people operations, or related disciplines -- preferably in a related field (such as social enterprise) or a comparable environment (such as a creative agency) -- and you have been responsible for making a high number of hires previously. Most importantly, you are excited by the prospect of building out the Talent function of a young but growing organization, and are eager to commit yourself to this endeavor of building a company from the ground up for at least the next 3 years.
As Talent Manager, you will be accountable for…
Leading talent acquisition strategy and overseeing the execution of active searches.
- Partnering with hiring managers to finalize specifics of role scope, search timeline, contract type, and other elements of a given search;
- Designing selection models (e.g. interview sequence, etc.) as well as the strategy and structure of the components of those selection models (e.g. on-site interviews) in partnership with prospective Hiring Managers;
- Owning recruitment kickoff meetings and subsequent Hiring Manager meetings, including determining the agenda and frequency;
- Setting strategy and overseeing outreach for sourcing prospective candidates;
- Overseeing the process of how candidates move through our applicant tracking system (Lever) in a timely fashion;
- Overseeing the maintenance of up-to-date records of candidates within Lever;
- Conducting 30min screening calls as a Talent Team representative and/or participating in later stages of the selection process as needed;
- Maintaining courteous and responsive communications with all candidates.
Designing Talent Team systems, policies, and processes.
- Outlining and iterating templates, checklists, canned responses, and other reusable materials to systematize Talent Team operations and evolve institutional memory;
- Conducting research on the latest tools and technologies relevant to the Talent world;
- Keeping the Talent team up-to-date on best practices, trends, and developments within the People Operations space that can inform our team operations;
- Serving as a key liaison between the broader Future team and the People Operations team to ensure feedback is heard and attended to;
- Surfacing, designing, and overseeing special projects that relate to talent and people operations.
Developing and empowering our Talent Associates.
- Overseeing Talent Associates’ work, ensuring excellence, responsiveness, and brand-alignment across all communications, workflows, etc;
- Maintaining a thorough and thoughtful rhythm for team check-ins, feedback, and collaboration to provide learning and growth opportunities to our Talent Associates;
- Coaching the Talent Associate to take on increasing levels of accountability and ownership over new domains of work.
Supporting special projects within the People Operations domain.
- Participating as an active member of the interdepartmental People Operations working group;
- Determining objectives and agenda for Weekly People Operations meetings and contributing to those discussions;
- Identifying opportunities and areas for improvement within the domain of People Operations at Future Laboratories (e.g. employee relations, employee engagement, organizational culture, etc.), and supporting the management and execution of resulting special projects.
We're looking for someone who...
- Has been accountable -- or heavily involved in -- successfully hiring at least 20 people in a setting that is relevant to Future Laboratories (e.g. a successful startup, a creative agency, a dynamic nonprofit, a research organization, or similar);
- Believes deeply in the importance of building teams, not only in the sense of hiring great talent but in supporting active team members and cultivating the environments in which the team can achieve breakthrough performance;
- Is naturally exceptionally well-organized, not only managing their own tasks with excellence but continuously elevating the organization of the entire Talent Team as well;
- Has an eye for efficiency and will constantly be looking for ways to improve, streamline, and simplify processes;
- Is extremely conscientious, customer-service-oriented, and responsive in both internal and external communications;
- Is both professional and personable as a representative of the Talent Team and first impression of Future Laboratories to many candidates;
- Is an effective troubleshooter, particularly under tight timelines or in response to last minute change-of-plans;
- Works quickly, especially in response to timely requests for logistical support;
- Is self-sufficient in managing their own work and proactive in seeking out ways to deliver even more value to the team and the organization;
- Is committed to coaching, empowering, and developing peers and reports on the Talent / People Operations teams;
- Is ready to commit 3+ years to Future Laboratories and learning about the science and art of team building and team performance, if we mutually determine that it will be a great fit for you to join the team.
Ideal candidates will...
- Have been Recruiters, Talent Associates, or other roles responsible for high numbers of hires;
- Have 3+ years of experience in talent acquisition, people operations, or related disciplines;
- Have a professional goal of becoming a talent executive, and will be approaching this work as a way to build their portfolio, have key learnings, and really dedicate themselves to this work as a professional craft;
- Be ready to commit 3+ years of building Future Laboratories and learning about the science and art of team building and team performance in the process.
There are many backgrounds, industries, and life experiences that give rise to leaders who can manage effectively. Backgrounds in science, business, technology, engineering, government, media, and design - or hybrids thereof - may all yield the right experiences for this role.
This role, along with the rest of the Future Laboratories team is based in New York City, at our new HQ located on Union Square West.
What To Expect
Once we hear from you, we’ll be in touch to schedule some conversations. As we get to know each other and mutually choose to move forward, we’ll have you make something meaningful with us, and we’ll see how that feels.
We look forward to having our new Talent Manager in place as soon as possible.
Future Laboratories is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee based on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, alienage or citizenship status, ancestry, nationality, national origin, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Future Laboratories will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Full package benefits.
Minimum Education Required