You have a passion for finding, making, and creating nutritious meals.You work well on a team and in a high paced environment. You pay attention to detail and think about safety.You enjoy discovering new local producers that can provide a regular supply of fresh, healthy food to feed up to 150 people a day. You enjoy collaborating with team members in order to create the perfect meal menus while promoting creative expression for yourself and others via culinary arts. You love working in an outdoor kitchen.
As a Kalu Yala line cook you will assist in managing our public house style, on-site kitchen while attempting to be Zero Waste and source ingredients as local and seasonal as possible. You will carry out the vision and mission of our previous Executive Chef by operating an farm to table style kitchen, utilizing the previous structured menu and skills of each kitchen team member. At our off-the-grid location, you will make sure everyone is well fed, food is delivered on time and in the right quantity, and that the kitchen is kept meticulously clean and organized.
You will work Monday through Friday and coordinate that food is set up for the weekends. You will work with your supervisor to set goals and track them throughout the semester.
- 1-4 years working in a commercial kitchen or degree related to culinary arts with relevant experience
- Strong planner who enjoys organization
- Positive attitude and self-motivated
- Experience cooking for large groups
- Conversational Spanish
- Understanding of dietary restrictions and nutrition
- Excited to connect to members of the local community
- Desire to help fulfill the vision of Kalu Yala, expressed here: www.kaluyala.com
- Looking forward to living in a comfortable camp in Panama
- Spanish speaker
- Wilderness First Responder or other medical training
- CPR certified
- Manual vehicle/4x4 experience
- Flexible and resilient
- Experience living in community
- $500 per month
- Room + Board valued at $550 per month in our tropical wilderness camp
- 6 weeks paid vacation, accrued semesterly
Level of Language Proficiency
Basic Spanish proficiency is required for this position
Minimum Education Required