Details: Salary package will include annual gross base salary between 45.000 € to 55.000€, depending on skill level and package negotiations
This role is for a operations/general manager responsible for the day to day activities of a regenerative farm and sustainable lifestyle project in Central Portugal. The overall mission of this mixed use project is to support people in transitioning to a more sustainable lifestyle through running educative programs and by demonstrating contemporary sustainable living practices. We develop experiential learning workshops that enables transformative change, while promoting contemporary sustainable design and agriculture. The facility has accommodation as well as a working organic farm and the plans to expand with the regeneration of several old factory buildings intp showcases of sustainable architecture and design.
The initiative is going into its first full year of operation and requires the skills of a confident and highly capable leader who is pro-active and passionate about business for social good. This person will work closely with the founder and CEO, manage the local team and work with remote team members. They will be empowered to make decisions in line with the vision, mission and goals of the organization and should have a track record of conceptualizing, creating and supporting initiatives from the start up phase to full potential.
This project is set up by an international leader in systems change and sustainability and will require a high level of professionalism regarding the commitment to social innovation and sustainability practices. We encourage on the job learning and can support rapid uptake in these concepts with the right fit candidate.
You will be required to be present part or full time at the property in Central Portugal by either onsite or living off-site (Lisbon, Porto, etc.) with weekly visits to the property. The candidate must have 5-10 years experience in management or similar level of leadership and be committed to supporting social and environmental change.
Candidates with a personal interest in sustainability, creativity, leadership, communications, vegetarian food, farming and sustainable agriculture are especially encouraged to apply. Experience with a start-up culture, fundraising and grant writing beneficial.
Must have a driver's license and be fluent in English and Portuguese (other languages also welcome), and be legally able to work in the EU.
Those who do not meet every qualification listed are encouraged to apply if they think they would be a good fit and successful candidate.
Business Management Responsibilities
- Develop and validate the business plan, considering resources, financials, marketing and communication strategy, reporting and collaborating with the CEO
- Maintain and manage the quarterly and annual project goals
- Establish and maintain relationships with regional governments and other partners
- Manage a defined budget, keep financial records up to date, and interface with accountants
- Build the brand to be known and respected for its initiatives, and leverage this to support the business plan
- Work with the remote team on communications, marketing and brand representation
Staff Management Responsibilities
- Daily management of local team, including hiring, supervising and evaluation of staff
- Plan activities for local trainee staff, mentoring and monitoring their progress
- Ensure that farm team is skilled in and follows all safety procedures and guidelines, ie. food and visitor safety and animal handling etc.
Farm Management Responsibilities
- Plan finances and production to maintain farm progress against budget parameters
- Coordinate and oversee the maintenance and repair of farm buildings, machinery and equipment
- Protect and maintain the farm environment and biodiversity
- Ensure farm activities comply with government standard health and safety practices
- Ensure all aspects related to farm based production comply with government legislation
- Ensure that the vision, mission and goals are carried out on the farm and be active in supporting new learning and growth in this
Skills & Experience
- Preferably B.S Degree in Sustainable Business, Agriculture Engineering, Agronomy or Business Management, Management specific to social enterprises (previous hands-on farming experience and technical knowledge experience beneficial)
- Experience with project and budget planning and management
- Experience with managing construction, trade workers and active project sites
- Experience with research to ensure projects are in line with required permits, regulations and approvals
- Experience with self-financed and sustained business structures
- Marketing and communication skills
- Contract and employee negotiation skills
- Experience with basic food production, standards and sustainability
- Comfortable with dynamic and fluid organizational culture, able to creatively work through challenges to get the job done, and done right
- High level of motivation, initiative and self direction alone with being a good team support and collaborator
- Able to recognize diverse cultural differences and adapt accordingly to respectfully work together
- Self-motivated and proactive, with the ability to motivate others
- Ability and interest with sharing skills and knowledge with others
Benefits include use of the organization's electric car, on site accommodation etc.
Bonus of 10% of the annual gross remuneration
Level of Language Proficiency
English & Portuguese
Minimum Education Required