BetterLesson empowers K-12 teachers to build a modern classroom: learner-centered, culturally responsive, and personalized. Instead of the conventional (and ineffective) format of professional development for educators—filling an auditorium for a day of sleep-inducing lectures—BetterLesson supports teachers for the entire school year with regular, 1:1, virtual coaching. We match each teacher with a world-class coach and then leverage our technology to study actual classroom performance, to suggest customized teaching strategies, to quantitatively measure impact on student learning, and to continuously improve teaching practice through rapid iteration. This process leads to off-the-charts teacher love (our data shows teachers love BetterLesson more than Apple users love their iPhones), high administrator engagement, and, most importantly, dramatic teacher and student growth.
We design and tightly control every aspect of the system in-house: our coaching methodology, the content behind our pedagogical viewpoint, the delivery of our services to all teachers and district leaders, and the software powering our web and mobile apps. BetterLesson has raised over $30M of venture capital and grant funding, serves over 70 school districts, sees 850K+ monthly active users accessing our online lessons and strategies, and is expanding quickly.
We are currently a small and growing team of teaching practice geeks, educational opportunity devotees, and product development gurus. We place tremendous value on our company’s roots and culture: a shared passion to transform professional learning for educators at scale and a sense of urgency to achieve this vision. All candidates should have the experience, competence, and enthusiasm to dive in headfirst and rapidly solve complex, exciting, and interconnected problems. We feel we offer a unique opportunity to join a small team, have flexible hours, and make a massive impact on our education system.
About The Job:
As Vice President of Business Operations, you will work hand-in-hand with BetterLesson’s executive team to execute special projects across the entire organization. We envision this person as responsible for building, and then running, the internal processes that will accelerate a successful business strategy. In many respects, it is hard for us to define this role because you need to be able to quickly learn and be good at everything, and these responsibilities are critical to enabling our company to tell a compelling story of BetterLesson’s impact on, and empowerment of, teachers and students. You will report to the founders of the company.
You will focus on 6 main functional areas:
1. Strategy: Establishing the components of our day-to-day processes, and supporting department leaders to do the same for their teams, to set the foundations of a highly scalable business.
2. Communication: Managing the communication cadence across the broader BetterLesson team, identifying ways to highlight/dashboard KPIs and other critical information, and serving as the lynchpin in the connectivity and culture of a largely distributed and remote workforce.
3. Knowledge Management: Organizing our broad systems and teams in order to rapidly distill and refine information about events, products, capabilities, and values into a unified and synchronized message.
4. Business Development: Leading BetterLesson’s efforts to think creatively about new partnerships and sales channels, particularly foundations and district-driven public outreaches, and applying those insights to execute on new business development (e.g., RFPs).
5. Hiring and Training: Building and managing the recruitment and hiring processes across the BetterLesson team, and then developing an onboarding process for new team members to internalize BetterLesson’s approach, value proposition, and impact.
6. Everything Else: Customer analysis and pricing? Legal document review and redline? Software vendor selection and implementation? There is a broad spectrum of operational activities that need the attention of a highly skilled person who can get up to speed quickly on anything, and you are our guy/gal.
- a proven leader with outstanding management and interpersonal skills;
- clear and professional communicator, both verbally and in writing, with off-the-charts EQ;
- able to work in partnership with all levels of an organization;
- operationally focused, detail-oriented, and simply able to get stuff done;
- analytically oriented with strong decision-making and problem-solving abilities;
- passionate about education and BetterLesson’s social mission; and
- comfortable embracing the experimentation, risk, speed, & failure inherent to startup hustle.
- a bachelor’s degree; and
- 7+ years of management and operations experience, preferably with 3-4 years in management consulting or investment banking and 3-4 years in an industry operations management position.
You potentially even have:
- an MBA from a top graduate business school.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply using the link above.