Brooklyn and Manhattan
ArtsPool, a cooperative service organization providing radically affordable nonprofit financial management, workforce administration, and compliance, seeks a qualified individual to support a growing member base of nonprofit arts organizations. Startup meets social venture, the ArtsPool model is a unique, alternative solution to the lack of staffing capacity in nonprofits. ArtsPool is seeking a Financial Maintenance Lead to work in the areas of budget maintenance and basic financial reporting to join a small, dedicated team in our bright offices in Brooklyn and Midtown.
Your love of numbers and attention to detail is matched by a passion for helping nonprofits and artists to thrive. The ideal candidate will share ArtsPool’s values with respect to diversity, equity and inclusion, and be excited by working in an organization with a flat, non-hierarchical structure. You enjoy learning new systems and tools, and thinking critically about ways of making them better. You love the arts and understand financial administration as a central part of making art happen. You are able to prioritize multiple projects and meet ongoing deadlines. You communicate clearly and patiently with clients and colleagues of varying degrees of financial literacy, and are excited to help members to understand and take ownership of their budgets. You are rigorous by nature, but have a sense of perspective and humor when things get real.
- Learn to utilize ArtsPool’s standard templates and practices to develop and maintain member (client) organizational budgets and financial reports;
- Produce reports including grant proposals, quarterly reports to member’s boards and committees, and annual reports to DataArts, US Census, among others.
- Work collaboratively with team members of Financial Operations, Workforce Administration and Compliance to ensure enhanced fiscal management that in turn allows members (clients) to focus on mission-based activity.
- Perform basic (non-credentialed) accounting-related tasks, including creating journal entries, performing cost and payroll allocations, and balance sheet reconciliations;
- Prepare materials to support members’ work with an independent auditor to complete annual financial statements and tax returns;
- Participate in weekly and monthly systems analysis for building and improving ArtsPool infrastructure and service delivery.
- Contribute to ArtsPool’s culture which strives to dismantle systemic, structural inequities in the context of arts administration; embrace a broad spectrum of identities, ideas, and experiences; as well as emphasize non-violent communication in order to allow team members to help each other, and work collaboratively and “outside the box.”
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Significant experience working within non-profit and/or arts organizations preferred;
- Ability to work with many types of members (clients) and personalities, ranging from small artist-run companies to mid-sized institutions;
- Openness to and facility with web-based systems and software;
- Comfort and experience with reading and maintaining spreadsheets;
- Independent self-motivated problem solver who can make suggestions and work within a team to develop and implement system improvements;
- Ability to meet continuous deadlines and willing to work beyond scope when needed;
- Facility with budget creation, maintenance and reporting required;
- Experience with payroll processing, Xero Accounting, and Google Apps (Drive, Docs, Sheets, Calendar, Gmail, etc) a plus, though not required.
ArtsPool Values Statement:
- ArtsPool values equity. We work to dismantle the systemic, structural inequities in our world and in the context of arts administration.
- ArtsPool values inclusion. We seek out a broad spectrum of identities, ideas, experiences, tools, and systems to improve our work and our understanding.
- ArtsPool values sustainability. We create and improve our systems to support long-term health of our people and our organization.
- ArtsPool values happiness. We work to create and maintain a working culture for staff and members that encourages joy, even amongst mundane details.
- ArtsPool values boldness. We take risks, accept challenges, and envision big ideas while following through on details.
- ArtsPool values flexibility. We are responsive to our members, our staff, and our environment.
- ArtsPool values personal responsibility to the group. We communicate and help each other, and always remember that we are a team.
- ArtsPool values proactive, designed, lived change. We hold ourselves highly accountable to living and practicing the concept of change from which we began.
Medical and dental benefits provided.
Level of Language Proficiency
Position requires fluency in English.
Minimum Education Required