85 Fort Douglas Boulevard
Salt Lake City
The Center for Technology & Venture Commercialization (TVC) at the University of Utah is seeking a Senior Accountant that will be both a team and individual contributor. We are looking for a hardworking, energetic individual that can bring their best self and a breadth of skills to make a difference on campus, in Utah and, in some cases, the world. The office serves as a catalyst for on campus discoveries and innovation. We are responsible for all aspects of invention management, patent prosecution, licensing, startup formation and support, early stage funding and bringing important discoveries to market. If you are motivated to make a difference and are looking for a high paced atmosphere you’ll find working at TVC an interesting place to build your career. For more about our important work check out: https://tvc.utah.edu
The Senior Accountant contributes as a cross organization liaison and would have general ledger responsibilities, perform complex invoicing and collections, accounts payable, some contract compliance, PO processing, and management/budget reporting. The role plays a major part in management of intellectual property and patenting expense tracking as well as annual royalty payments to inventors.
University of Utah Job ID# PRN17906B – 00642 - Technology Commercialization
COMPENSATION: $39,300 to $72,700 annually.
WORK SCHEDULE: M-F, 8am to 5pm
1. Preparation of detailed invoicing, management of Accounts Receivable, and collections.
2. Responsibility for general ledger, Income Statement and Balance Sheet. Generates and loads journals into accounting system.
3. Prepares pro forma reports, exception reports and University required reports as well as ad-hoc reports.
4. Manages finance aspects of department database, reconciles department’s activities to other source records and corrects variances.
5. Reviews contracts for ongoing compliance and follow up.
6. Works on complex transactions ensuring accuracy, proper approvals and timely action.
7. Assists with year-end closing to ensure adjustments and accruals are properly recorded.
8. Serves as accounting liaison for assigned departments. Answers questions, corrects errors, resolves accounting related issues and provides financial or other information as requested.
9. Interprets policies, ensures compliance and recommends internal controls.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field or equivalency, plus two years professional accounting experience. Also required are a thorough knowledge of established accounting principles and practices, knowledge of accounting software, advanced spreadsheet skills, the ability to write queries and macros and demonstrated analytical, problem solving, human relations and effective communication skills.
Certifications as a Certified Public Accountant may be preferred for certain positions.
Ideal candidate would have Peoplesoft/Oracle experience, superior Excel skills, be an organization wizard, have a strong work ethic and an enthusiasm for TVC’s mission. Successful candidate would have demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment while maintaining a sense of humor and a strong desire to be part of a high functioning team. Preference given to applicants with startup experience.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE THROUGH THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH SYSTEM TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS JOB:
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Excellent education, medical and retirement benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE THROUGH THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH SYSTEM TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS JOB